Re: Bragg

  • ecm777@aol.com
    Message 1 of 160 , Jun 14, 2000
      Clayton,
      I agree with you about Bragg. Even with his many faults, if he had had the
      support of his subordinate officers, it certainly would have changed his
      manner of command, especially in the later years.

      IMHO
      Colleen
    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 160 of 160 , Oct 13, 2006
        He had trouble making up his mind and taking charge of authority but
        when compared to other generals during the war and especially in the
        West, he was not that bad. I can't wait to read more about him and
        maybe I am way off base. Maybe he deserves all the bad press that he
        has been given but I am inclined to think maybe not.

        Bill,
        There was nothing really bad about his command skills. Yes, he made
        mistakes, but so did Lee, Grant, Sherman, Rosecrans, Hood, etc etc
        His problem was leadership skills and that means getting along with
        other individuals, especially subordinates that he had to rely upon
        heavily. I knew a retired chiropractor here that was like that, but he
        was damn good in customizing and making golf clubs for you. Every time
        I hear of Bragg, I think of ole Doc Tuscano.

        JEJ