Re: [civilwarwest] The Value of Vicksburg

  • fishx111@cs.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2002
      Is it not also true that Vicksburg MS, was on the high ground, and in a major
      bend in the MS.Therefore it would give a good vantage point of the river, and
      being on the high ground the cannon fire would carry farther and have more
      impact than from low ground?Also with the bend shipping would have to slow
      down, it would be easier to ambush, obstructions and mines could be put in
      the river , whose view would be obstructed due to the bend.In other words it
      was a very defensible position, and would give maximum line of sight, and
      maximum fire power. A frontal assault from the MS RV, would produce maximum
      casualties, because the high ground was the best defensible position, IE
      Picketts Charge, the Union Charge at Fredericksburg.Vicksburg was really the
      last and best really superior blockage on the MS RV. With its capture the
      Union could ship from say Cairo IL to New Orleans LA rather effectively. By
      controlling the MS, it would cut the effectiveness of the CSA, and was a key
      point in the union Blockade.

      I dont know the effectiveness of Naval gunfire from an Ironclad to an
      elevated position.A Monitor type ironclad, I know could give maximum
      deflection(left right) but quadrant , elevation(up down) , I dont know what
      could be achieved.
    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 16, 2002
        In a message dated 7/16/02 7:39:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dmsmith001@... writes:

        << I agree. Sometimes it's the back of the scene contributions from
        willing men like Hurlbut that make all the difference in a campaign.
        To the best of my knowledge, Hurlbut didn't squawk a bit when Grant
        called on him for reinforcements.

        Seems to me the only time Grant and Hurlbut disagreed was in how Dodge was
        handling payment to his operatives. IIRC the situation was handled quickly
        and with no obviously hard feelings. Working in tandem was the optimum
        situation, but too often egos or personal agendas muddied the water to the
        detriment of the objective. Grant's talent was to somehow arrange it so that
        his subordinates were his men.

        Connie