Re: The Value of Vicksburg

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2002
      I find myself agreeing that just having some ability to "run the
      batteries" can be easily misunderstood as an acceptable facility. As
      long as the Confederates controlled both Vicksburg and Port Hudson,
      they were going to have some ability to contest control between them,
      sometimes capturing ships as well as damaging them. And the Union to
      some degree was going to be dissatisfied with its ability to control
      and use the River: for instance it was rather a one way thing, vessels
      were able to go downstream with some success, but not upstream except
      at great peril. This was going to have its limits as the Federals
      could hardly afford to keep reducing their presence in the northern
      part of the River. And the necessity of controlling the west bank with
      a substantial number of troops, as you mention, was also a pain for
      the Yanks.
      -As far as Rebel Ironclads, I am not up to speed as to what was being
      attempted, but I can pretty much vouch for the fact that wherever
      there was an opportunity and a need, the CSA was trying to build them,
      even at Shreveport, LA. And we can see as with the CSS ARKANSAS, once
      in service the effects could not be dismissed in areas where control
      was being disputed (as opposed to, say, attempting to challenge the
      control of the River above Vicksburg).
      Carl

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "slippymississippi" <slippymississippi@y...>
      [...]
    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 16, 2002
        In a message dated 7/16/02 7:39:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dmsmith001@... writes:

        << I agree. Sometimes it's the back of the scene contributions from
        willing men like Hurlbut that make all the difference in a campaign.
        To the best of my knowledge, Hurlbut didn't squawk a bit when Grant
        called on him for reinforcements.

        Seems to me the only time Grant and Hurlbut disagreed was in how Dodge was
        handling payment to his operatives. IIRC the situation was handled quickly
        and with no obviously hard feelings. Working in tandem was the optimum
        situation, but too often egos or personal agendas muddied the water to the
        detriment of the objective. Grant's talent was to somehow arrange it so that
        his subordinates were his men.

        Connie