Re: The Value of Vicksburg

  • wh_keene
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "M. E. Heatherington"
      <meheatherington@h...> wrote:
      "....Hence arose two unanticipated results of the Conf closing of the
      river..."

      Prior to the war, railroads were growing in the west and the
      transcontinental railroad was a major political issue in the 1850s.

      However, the river was still dominant and cities along the river like
      St. Louis had the edge. But then the war came and BOOOM... there was
      Chicago.

      Because of the Great Lakes and the railway, Chicago was more almost
      directly linked to New York City. Once the river was blocked and New
      Orleans damaged by war, the orientation of the upper midwest shifted
      toward the Lakes, the railways and Chicago. Goods from Iowa,
      Nebraska, etc. that used to go to St Louis for shipment now went to
      Chicago.

      Chicago became one of the fastest growing cities in history!
      In 1850 Chicago had than 30,000 people (St Louis 75,000+)
      In 1860 Chicago had 100,000 people (St Louis about 160,000)
      In 1870 Chicago had 300,000 (St Louis the same)
      In 1880 Chicago had 500,000 (St Louis only 350,000)
      In 1890 Chicago had 1,100,000 (St Louis only 450,000!)

      :
      > (1) the rise of railroads, east and west, in the mercantile life of
      the
      > country, e.g., the Union Pacific, made transcontinental at
      Promontory Point,
      > Utah, in 1867, having started from San Francisco in 1863 and Omaha
      in 1862
      > (a project headed, incidentally, by Grenville Dodge); and (2)
      mercantile

    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 16, 2002
        In a message dated 7/16/02 7:39:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dmsmith001@... writes:

        << I agree. Sometimes it's the back of the scene contributions from
        willing men like Hurlbut that make all the difference in a campaign.
        To the best of my knowledge, Hurlbut didn't squawk a bit when Grant
        called on him for reinforcements.

        Seems to me the only time Grant and Hurlbut disagreed was in how Dodge was
        handling payment to his operatives. IIRC the situation was handled quickly
        and with no obviously hard feelings. Working in tandem was the optimum
        situation, but too often egos or personal agendas muddied the water to the
        detriment of the objective. Grant's talent was to somehow arrange it so that
        his subordinates were his men.

        Connie