Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Neuralgia

  • ACES_DUGOUT
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hi Y'all
      The basic for the Field surgeon or most Medical service was ether, alcohol
      or bite on this.
      And devil take the hindmost.
      The sutler had patent medicines and they varied depending on source or
      supplier.
      but the main ingredient in aspirin is belladonna and that drug has been in
      use since the middle ages although it is a deadly poison if used improperly
      or refined incorrectly it's been around a long time.
      Yours in service
      James

      <excert.>
      I have to confess that this info makes me feel
      sorry for JD. I never liked him and never will, but whether his
      affliction
      was brought on by chicken pox or youthful cavorting, it sounds dreadful.
      Did we even have aspirin yet? Poor guy.
      ~Madelon
    • WmHiram
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
        No aspirin until the 1890s, Madelon. Opiates, with their myriad
        nasty side effects, were the only analgesics at the time.

        Soooo glad I live in the 21st century!

        And yes, I'm notorious for my puns. But I've tried to behave in here.

        Billie

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "M. E. Heatherington"
        <meheatherington@h...> wrote:
        > "So does this thread get on anybody's nerves?" -- You may have been
        dancing
        > around a bad pun, Billie, but I have to confess that this info
        makes me feel
        > sorry for JD. I never liked him and never will, but whether his
        affliction
        > was brought on by chicken pox or youthful cavorting, it sounds
        dreadful.
        > Did we even have aspirin yet? Poor guy.
        > ~Madelon
        >

        > >From: "WmHiram" <wmhiram@y...>
        > >To: civilwarwest@y...
        > >Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Neuralgia
        > >Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 04:39:39 -0000
        > >
        > >--- In civilwarwest@y..., "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
        > > > For Madelon and anyone else interested, I finally checked
        > >Chadwick's > footnotes and he cites primarily a book I don't have
        by
        > >William C. > Davis, JEFFERSON DAVIS: THE MAN AND HIS HOUR.
        > > > Chadwick says the symptoms mainly involved an inflamation of the
        > >eye, > which symptoms "... indicate a viral herpes... usually
        > >contracted by > men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-five
        > >through sexual > relations..."
        > > > [THE TWO AMERICAN PRESIDENTS : A DUAL BIOGRAPHY OF ABRAHAM
        > > > LINCOLN AND JEFFERSON DAVIS by Bruce Chadwick]
        > > > carl
        > >
        > >Oh heck, I completely forgot about herpes (zoster or simplex).
        > >Herpes zoster is also called shingles, and is a sequela of chicken
        > >pox. Even today the pain is referred to as herpetic neuralgia.
        > >
        > >Herpex simplex can either be of the cold sore variety or the
        venereal
        > >variety. Though if it were in the eye I'd put my greenbacks on it
        > >being something besides venereal.
        > >
        > >So does this thread get on anybody's nerves?
        > >
        > >Billie

      • WmHiram
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
          Um, James, I don't know where you got your medical information but
          belladonna is NOT the main ingredient in aspirin. Aspirin started
          out as a brand name for acetylsalicylic acid, and was synthesized by
          the Bayer company in Germany in the 1890s.

          However, belladonna is still used today in the form of B&O
          (belladonna and opium) suppositories for stubborn cases of diarrhea.
          We haven't come that far after all. :)

          Gotta go, I'm at work right now, stolen moments are the sweetest!

          Billie

          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "ACES_DUGOUT" <acesdugout@c...> wrote:
          > Hi Y'all
          > The basic for the Field surgeon or most Medical service was ether,
          alcohol
          > or bite on this.
          > And devil take the hindmost.
          > The sutler had patent medicines and they varied depending on source
          or
          > supplier.
          > but the main ingredient in aspirin is belladonna and that drug has
          been in
          > use since the middle ages although it is a deadly poison if used
          improperly
          > or refined incorrectly it's been around a long time.
          > Yours in service
          > James
          >
          > <excert.>
          > I have to confess that this info makes me feel
          > sorry for JD. I never liked him and never will, but whether his
          > affliction
          > was brought on by chicken pox or youthful cavorting, it sounds
          dreadful.
          > Did we even have aspirin yet? Poor guy.
          > ~Madelon
        • carlw4514
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
            James may have been thinking of willow bark, the ancient precursor.
            However, the below suggests that ancient uses of salicylate-containing
            plants may not really have lead to modern use of the substance:
            http://www.mjm.mcgill.ca/issues/v02n02/aspirin.html
            Carl

          • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
              In a message dated 7/1/2002 6:12:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wmhiram@... writes:

              However, belladonna is still used today in the form of B&O
              (belladonna and opium) suppositories for stubborn cases of diarrhea.
              We haven't come that far after all.  :)

              Tinture of Belladona also was one of the common doses given back in the thirties to kids that wet the bed.  Damn ugly tasting green stuff  ugh.
              Now I just wonder how I remember that after over 65 years.

              Wayne
            • Aurelie1999@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                In a message dated 7/1/02 8:10:57 PM Central Daylight Time, FLYNSWEDE@...
                writes:

                << Damn ugly tasting green stuff ugh.
                Now I just wonder how I remember that after over 65 years.

                Because it was "ugh!"
              • fishx111@cs.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                  So is the final answer HERPES?
                • melchizedek22
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                    Every once in a while I get spazums in my stomach
                    from my nerves,nothing takes it away but belladonna
                    or if your system gets going to fast belladonna slows it down
                    I got a bottle of it now use it once twice a year.
                    I remember as a kid my Mom giving me the green liquid
                    it did taste terrible but it worked The Baron

                    -- In civilwarwest@y..., Aurelie1999@a... wrote:
                    > In a message dated 7/1/02 8:10:57 PM Central Daylight Time, FLYNSWEDE@A...
                    > writes:
                    >
                    > << Damn ugly tasting green stuff ugh.
                    > Now I just wonder how I remember that after over 65 years.
                    > >>

                    > Because it was "ugh!"
                  • WmHiram
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                      Carl, thanks for the link. I glanced at it and it'll be worth
                      reading at a time when I haven't expended all my brain power playing
                      video games with the kids. :)

                      Billie

                    • hank9174
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 2, 2002
                        Davis was blind in one eye, the right one IIRC. Was this a result to
                        actual damage to the eye or to the nerve transmitting to the brain?

                        I recall that he was frequently knocked out for days at a time from
                        his neuralgia.

                        HankC