Re: [civilwarwest] Re: The Value of Vicksburg

  • M. E. Heatherington
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2002
      An addendum to Connie's note about the Msp R and the upper Midwest:
      It was the farmers and merchants from the old North West, Illinois,
      Indiana, and Ohio, who were most affected by the Confederates' holding the
      river; therefore, it was they who formed the Copperheads that were so eager
      to shut down the war, so they could get back to "bidness," as we say here in
      N.Car. (Vallandigham almost pulled it off, too.) And it's true, they *did*
      lose money for a while. But very quickly, the railroads began to carry that
      freight east, right across the upper Midwest its own self, without the
      merchants having to ship their goods all the way down to New Orleans.
      Hence arose two unanticipated results of the Conf closing of the river:
      (1) the rise of railroads, east and west, in the mercantile life of the
      country, e.g., the Union Pacific, made transcontinental at Promontory Point,
      Utah, in 1867, having started from San Francisco in 1863 and Omaha in 1862
      (a project headed, incidentally, by Grenville Dodge); and (2) mercantile
      traffic on the river after its reopening in 1863 dropped something like 67%.
      After the war, the flatboats and Mark Twain-type stern-wheelers were, sad
      to say, history.
      As a side effect, the country got a whole new class of robber barons --
      railroad men like Stanford, Hopkins, Huntington, and Gould -- to replace the
      fur/whiskey/slaves/whales-based r.b's of the earlier and mid-century.

      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 16, 2002
        In a message dated 7/16/02 7:39:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dmsmith001@... writes:

        << I agree. Sometimes it's the back of the scene contributions from
        willing men like Hurlbut that make all the difference in a campaign.
        To the best of my knowledge, Hurlbut didn't squawk a bit when Grant
        called on him for reinforcements.

        Seems to me the only time Grant and Hurlbut disagreed was in how Dodge was
        handling payment to his operatives. IIRC the situation was handled quickly
        and with no obviously hard feelings. Working in tandem was the optimum
        situation, but too often egos or personal agendas muddied the water to the
        detriment of the objective. Grant's talent was to somehow arrange it so that
        his subordinates were his men.

        Connie