Re: [civilwarwest] Re: The Value of Vicksburg

  • Aurelie1999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2002
      Pete, you are so right. And imagine the smell!!! In our motorized world, we
      often forget about all the details that went into running a war back in them
      thar days. It is one of the reasons my latest fascination is the
      Quartermaster Corps, N&S. Those guys were faced with a logistic nightmare
      that only American ingenuity can and did solve N&S.

      But IMHO the Union's greatest gain from capturing VB was Grant. The
      successful conclusion of the VB campaign catapulted him into the upper
      echelon of military men and insured his appointment to command all the armies
      and ability to put into play a modern command system. Without VB in his cap,
      Grant would probably have remained in obscurity. And, no matter what you
      think of him, Lincoln needed a general and was running out of choices to
      carry the last 10 yards.
      Connie
    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 16, 2002
        In a message dated 7/16/02 7:39:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dmsmith001@... writes:

        << I agree. Sometimes it's the back of the scene contributions from
        willing men like Hurlbut that make all the difference in a campaign.
        To the best of my knowledge, Hurlbut didn't squawk a bit when Grant
        called on him for reinforcements.

        Seems to me the only time Grant and Hurlbut disagreed was in how Dodge was
        handling payment to his operatives. IIRC the situation was handled quickly
        and with no obviously hard feelings. Working in tandem was the optimum
        situation, but too often egos or personal agendas muddied the water to the
        detriment of the objective. Grant's talent was to somehow arrange it so that
        his subordinates were his men.

        Connie