Re: [civilwarwest] The Value of Vicksburg

  • Aurelie1999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2002
      Remember the Father of Waters begins in St. Paul MN and tumbles through the
      rich farmlands and manufacturing centers of the old Northwest.

      Vicksburg effectively kept the rich harvests of Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and
      Wisconsin from the world market place. Economically it's choke hold on the
      this important liquid highway hobbled the Union.

      A Wisconsin boy who entered the army told his father in a letter that he
      didn't "care spit" for Virginia or Georgia or the Carolinas, the Confederacy
      could have them. However, he would be "damned if they can have the
      Mississippi."

      William T. Sherman while still at the Louisiana Military Academy declared
      that secession was nonsense because of the river. "The Mississippi is too
      grand an element to be divided, its source and mouth, must be controlled by
      one government."

      To the western men whose very existence depended on the Mississippi, there
      was no question of letting Vicksburg stand. It was the key to world trade
      and it must be a part of the Union.

      Connie
    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 16, 2002
        In a message dated 7/16/02 7:39:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dmsmith001@... writes:

        << I agree. Sometimes it's the back of the scene contributions from
        willing men like Hurlbut that make all the difference in a campaign.
        To the best of my knowledge, Hurlbut didn't squawk a bit when Grant
        called on him for reinforcements.

        Seems to me the only time Grant and Hurlbut disagreed was in how Dodge was
        handling payment to his operatives. IIRC the situation was handled quickly
        and with no obviously hard feelings. Working in tandem was the optimum
        situation, but too often egos or personal agendas muddied the water to the
        detriment of the objective. Grant's talent was to somehow arrange it so that
        his subordinates were his men.

        Connie