Re: Du Pont

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 101 , Jun 28, 2002
      Yes, in fact Foote, who I admire quite a bit -- being instrumental in
      putting together the Western Gunboat Flotilla -- didn't last much
      longer: 2 days after Dahlgren got the job. It really seemed to be some
      sort of blood poisoning or something related to his wound during the
      attack on Fort Donelson, that did him in (June 26, 1863).
      Browsing the web, it seems that Du Pont's claim to naval fame really
      was the 1861 capture of Port Royal.
      Carl
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "wh_keene" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
      > Carl,
      >
      > I remembered what I had been thinking of: Foote was suppossed to
      > replace Dupont, but because his health was so bad it went to Dahlgren.
      >
      > Interesting that the navy had its big stars rise from the Mississippi
      > along side the army stars: Parrallel to the rise of Grant and
      > Sherman in the west was the rise of Foote, Farragut and Porter. (had
      > to get it back OT somehow).

    • David Kowalski
      Message 101 of 101 , Jul 1 8:17 PM

        DuPont's ancestor founded the chemical company.  His descendants made it larger.  For many years, the company's largest customer was the US Navy.  They made blasting powder.  Besides chemicals, the DuPonts invented modern financial management.  This product was exported to General Motors (resued by the DuPonts in the 1920's) and, strangely enough to Japan.

        Many socially prominent families sent family members to West Point and Annapolis in the pre-CW days.

          wh_keene <wh_keene@...> wrote:

        I think Dupont died in 65.

        In the on going tension between the proponents of the Western Theater
        (us) and the proponents of the VIrginia theater, the contribution of
        the Atlantic coast operations are sometimes forgotten.  This was were
        Dupont made a name for himself.  He also (I think) distinguished
        himself in the service prior to the war.

        His decendents did something that gave them political power: they
        formed a large chemical company.

        Do You Yahoo!?