Ltr #36 Abya, by H. B. Talbert

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2002
      Calhoun Mo   Dec. the 8th 1862

               Dear Brother Enos

           [.....].  This evening R. E. Fleming Sergeant of Fifth Squad returned to his company from a visit home on a furlough of twenty days.  He brings very good news from Indiana.  Says times are good, also that there is a prospect of us going to Indianapolis to join other companies of artillery and form a regiment.  He got this news from Major Frybarger[This appears to be the same William W. Frybarger that was in 1861 the first Captain of the Third Indiana Battery.]  And he said there was a regiment to be formed and if it was done four batteries would have to be called from the field and the Indiana Third would be one of the four.  This is too good to be true, but I would be very glad if it would turn out to be so.  Then I would pay you a visit sure.  For my part I cannot see why they are so particular against granting furloughs in this department.  If we was in active service it would alter the case, but are now right to the contrary, and no prospect as I can see at present of our situation being changed soon.

           The Pay Master has not yet give[n] us a call and it is now the report that he will not come until after New Years, and we do not no that he will come then, but whenever I get payed off again I am going to send some home.  Do not depend too much on this for it would be too much on uncertainties.

           I was very sorry to hear of Abya's being dissatisfied.  Also of the situation of his family.  In another letter I got I heard that his wife was very sick.  I feel sorry indeed for Abya and would do anything in my power to relieve him of his troubles.  I wish I could act in his place and my own at the same time and I would relieve him of a load that I know is very burthensome [burdensome].

           It is now eight o clock P. M. and I come on guard in the latter part of the night.  So I will close and retire to rest hoping that if I never meet you while soldiering far in the west, that I may where I can lay my head on Jesus breast. Give my love and respects to all enquiring friends and receive the same yourself; so farewell.

                                         Harrison Talbert     to E. T. & Family