Neuralgia

  • M. E. Heatherington
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 23, 2002
      Another question for the medically knowledgeable among our CWW group: What
      is the 21st-century equivalent of the "neuralgia" that so plagued, among
      others, Jefferson Davis and George Thomas? Is it like a "tic doleureux"
      (sp?) or what?
      Regards,
      Madelon H.
      (Question prompted by a re-reading of Castel in light of commentary among
      this group; he mentions Thomas's struggle with neuralgia, p. 52, as a reason
      why GT could not take the field.)

    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 24, 2002
        I don't fit the profile of your requested replier, but I think in many
        cases we will never know. For example, we hear now that "consumption"
        meant a person had TB, but in the 19th century this term was also used
        to cover any unexplainable "wasting away". I suspect "nueralgia"
        covered a lot of different ailments. In the case of Jefferson Davis, I
        have seen it postulated that the nueralgia was caused by Venereal
        Disease. [THE TWO AMERICAN PRESIDENTS : A DUAL BIOGRAPHY OF ABRAHAM
        LINCOLN AND JEFFERSON DAVIS by Bruce Chadwick]
        carl
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "M. E. Heatherington" <meheatherington@h...>
        wrote:
        > Another question for the medically knowledgeable among our CWW
        group: What
        > is the 21st-century equivalent of the "neuralgia" that so plagued,
        among
        > others, Jefferson Davis and George Thomas? Is it like a "tic
        doleureux"
        > (sp?) or what?
        > Regards,
        > Madelon H.
        > (Question prompted by a re-reading of Castel in light of commentary
        among
        > this group; he mentions Thomas's struggle with neuralgia, p. 52, as
        a reason
        > why GT could not take the field.)

        http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
      • WmHiram
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 24, 2002
          Madelon, neuralgia means nerve pain. The diagnosis of neuralgia is
          still around today, though it is much more handily treated with our
          better analgesics. A physician is more likely now to say "facial
          pain" or "pain in limb" than "neuralgia."

          One of the most common was facial neuralgia, or pain in the 5th
          cranial nerve, also called the trigeminal or facial nerve. This was
          thought to be caused by bad teeth, which were nearly universal at
          that time. Tic doulereux is pain in this nerve accompanied by spasms
          of the facial muscles, and it's certainly still around today.
          Another disorder in this group is facial nerve paralysis, or Bell's
          palsy.

          Migraine headaches were also referred to as neuralgia, and they're
          still around today, as anybody who works in an ER can attest!

          Angina pectoris at that time was referred to as cardiac neuralgia or
          neuralgia of the heart.

          If Thomas was suffering from a migraine headache, it's no wonder that
          he couldn't take the field.

          Billie

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 24, 2002
            >In the case of Jefferson Davis, I
            > have seen it postulated that the nueralgia was caused by Venereal
            > Disease. [THE TWO AMERICAN PRESIDENTS : A DUAL BIOGRAPHY OF ABRAHAM
            > LINCOLN AND JEFFERSON DAVIS by Bruce Chadwick]
            > carl

            Carl, since syphilis resides in the nervous system, it's quite
            possible that neuralgia would be one of its manifestations.

            I don't know about Jeff Davis though. It could have been bad teeth,
            or migraines.

            Billie
          • melchizedek22
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 24, 2002
              Didn't Anacin used to advertize it was for nueralgia
              I get nueralgia from reading to much revisonist history
              The Baron

              - In civilwarwest@y..., "WmHiram" <wmhiram@y...> wrote:
              > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
              > >In the case of Jefferson Davis, I
              > > have seen it postulated that the nueralgia was caused by Venereal
              > > Disease. [THE TWO AMERICAN PRESIDENTS : A DUAL BIOGRAPHY OF ABRAHAM
              > > LINCOLN AND JEFFERSON DAVIS by Bruce Chadwick]
              > > carl
              >
              > Carl, since syphilis resides in the nervous system, it's quite
              > possible that neuralgia would be one of its manifestations.
              >
              > I don't know about Jeff Davis though. It could have been bad teeth,
              > or migraines.
              >
              > Billie
            • M. E. Heatherington
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 25, 2002
                Billie: Thank you, and let me see if I can paraphrase in layperson's
                language. Davis' neuralgia was mentioned by almost everyone who met him,
                and it was apparently around to bite him all the time -- no wonder he was
                sometimes testy -- but no spasms are mentioned that I recall. So perhaps
                what he had was bad teeth causing that trigeminal nerve to fire. Thomas,
                however, rarely mentions his neuralgia, so either he hid it better or it
                attacked him less frequently; perhaps migraine. Is that a fair assessment?
                I confess that I did not know that a migraine could affect one's cheeks.
                Any of it sounds seriously unpleasant.
                Regards,
                Madelon

                >From: "WmHiram" <wmhiram@...>
                >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Neuralgia
                >Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 01:37:36 -0000
                >
                >Madelon, neuralgia means nerve pain. The diagnosis of neuralgia is
                >still around today, though it is much more handily treated with our
                >better analgesics. A physician is more likely now to say "facial
                >pain" or "pain in limb" than "neuralgia."
                >
                >One of the most common was facial neuralgia, or pain in the 5th
                >cranial nerve, also called the trigeminal or facial nerve. This was
                >thought to be caused by bad teeth, which were nearly universal at
                >that time. Tic doulereux is pain in this nerve accompanied by spasms
                >of the facial muscles, and it's certainly still around today.
                >Another disorder in this group is facial nerve paralysis, or Bell's
                >palsy.
                >
                >Migraine headaches were also referred to as neuralgia, and they're
                >still around today, as anybody who works in an ER can attest!
                >
                >Angina pectoris at that time was referred to as cardiac neuralgia or
                >neuralgia of the heart.
                >
                >If Thomas was suffering from a migraine headache, it's no wonder that
                >he couldn't take the field.
                >
                >Billie
                >

                >--- In civilwarwest@y..., "M. E. Heatherington"
                ><meheatherington@h...> wrote:
                > > Another question for the medically knowledgeable among our CWW
                >group: What
                > > is the 21st-century equivalent of the "neuralgia" that so plagued,
                >among
                > > others, Jefferson Davis and George Thomas? Is it like a "tic
                >doleureux"
                > > (sp?) or what?
                > > Regards,
                > > Madelon H.
                > > (Question prompted by a re-reading of Castel in light of commentary
                >among
                > > this group; he mentions Thomas's struggle with neuralgia, p. 52, as
                >a reason
                > > why GT could not take the field.)

                >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

              • wh_keene
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 25, 2002
                  I wonder if Thomas was afflicted by sinus problems, possibly allergy
                  connected.

                  Based on personal experience, sinus pain can be centered in the upper
                  cheek area, particualry the area just below the eyes just to either
                  side of the nose. And severe sinus pain can be debilitating
                  especially, without modern pharmaceuticals.

                  It is a periodic thing that can be triggered by allergies or weather
                  conditions. Thus Thomas tells Grant on Feb 18, '64, that the cold
                  and damp had brought on a severe attack. He could have been allergic
                  to mildew or mold spores which inflamed his sinuses.

                  http://messenger.msn.com
                • fishx111@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 29, 2002
                    Absessed teeth can create the cheek to hurt , and it would be intermitent.
                    But generally
                    it affects more than the teeth.
                  • carlw4514
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 30, 2002
                      For Madelon and anyone else interested, I finally checked Chadwick's
                      footnotes and he cites primarily a book I don't have by William C.
                      Davis, JEFFERSON DAVIS: THE MAN AND HIS HOUR.
                      Chadwick says the symptoms mainly involved an inflamation of the eye,
                      which symptoms "... indicate a viral herpes... usually contracted by
                      men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-five through sexual
                      relations..."
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 30, 2002
                        > For Madelon and anyone else interested, I finally checked
                        Chadwick's > footnotes and he cites primarily a book I don't have by
                        William C. > Davis, JEFFERSON DAVIS: THE MAN AND HIS HOUR.
                        > Chadwick says the symptoms mainly involved an inflamation of the
                        eye, > which symptoms "... indicate a viral herpes... usually
                        contracted by > men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-five
                        through sexual > relations..."
                        > [THE TWO AMERICAN PRESIDENTS : A DUAL BIOGRAPHY OF ABRAHAM
                        > LINCOLN AND JEFFERSON DAVIS by Bruce Chadwick]
                        > carl

                        Oh heck, I completely forgot about herpes (zoster or simplex).
                        Herpes zoster is also called shingles, and is a sequela of chicken
                        pox. Even today the pain is referred to as herpetic neuralgia.

                        Herpex simplex can either be of the cold sore variety or the venereal
                        variety. Though if it were in the eye I'd put my greenbacks on it
                        being something besides venereal.

                        So does this thread get on anybody's nerves?

                        Billie
                      • Aurelie1999@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 30, 2002
                          In a message dated 6/30/02 11:40:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          wmhiram@... writes:

                          << So does this thread get on anybody's nerves? >>

                          Not on my nerves! It's a helpful look at an area that we often read about
                          and just blow past. You provide some great information into areas that (I at
                          least) some of us know little about. It helps to understand what Jeff may
                          or may not have endured while running the war. Health matters I think in how
                          someone performs. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

                          Connie Boone
                        • M. E. Heatherington
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                            "So does this thread get on anybody's nerves?" -- You may have been dancing
                            around a bad pun, Billie, but I have to confess that this info makes me feel
                            sorry for JD. I never liked him and never will, but whether his affliction
                            was brought on by chicken pox or youthful cavorting, it sounds dreadful.
                            Did we even have aspirin yet? Poor guy.
                            ~Madelon

                            >From: "WmHiram" <wmhiram@...>
                            >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Neuralgia
                            >Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 04:39:39 -0000
                            >
                            >--- In civilwarwest@y..., "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
                            > > For Madelon and anyone else interested, I finally checked
                            >Chadwick's > footnotes and he cites primarily a book I don't have by
                            >William C. > Davis, JEFFERSON DAVIS: THE MAN AND HIS HOUR.
                            > > Chadwick says the symptoms mainly involved an inflamation of the
                            >eye, > which symptoms "... indicate a viral herpes... usually
                            >contracted by > men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-five
                            >through sexual > relations..."
                            > > [THE TWO AMERICAN PRESIDENTS : A DUAL BIOGRAPHY OF ABRAHAM
                            > > LINCOLN AND JEFFERSON DAVIS by Bruce Chadwick]
                            > > carl
                            >
                            >Oh heck, I completely forgot about herpes (zoster or simplex).
                            >Herpes zoster is also called shingles, and is a sequela of chicken
                            >pox. Even today the pain is referred to as herpetic neuralgia.
                            >
                            >Herpex simplex can either be of the cold sore variety or the venereal
                            >variety. Though if it were in the eye I'd put my greenbacks on it
                            >being something besides venereal.
                            >
                            >So does this thread get on anybody's nerves?
                            >
                            >Billie

                          • ACES_DUGOUT
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                              Hi Y'all
                              The basic for the Field surgeon or most Medical service was ether, alcohol
                              or bite on this.
                              And devil take the hindmost.
                              The sutler had patent medicines and they varied depending on source or
                              supplier.
                              but the main ingredient in aspirin is belladonna and that drug has been in
                              use since the middle ages although it is a deadly poison if used improperly
                              or refined incorrectly it's been around a long time.
                              Yours in service
                              James

                              <excert.>
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                No aspirin until the 1890s, Madelon. Opiates, with their myriad
                                nasty side effects, were the only analgesics at the time.

                                Soooo glad I live in the 21st century!

                                And yes, I'm notorious for my puns. But I've tried to behave in here.

                                Billie

                                <meheatherington@h...> wrote:
                                > "So does this thread get on anybody's nerves?" -- You may have been
                                dancing
                                > around a bad pun, Billie, but I have to confess that this info
                                makes me feel
                                > sorry for JD. I never liked him and never will, but whether his
                                affliction
                                > was brought on by chicken pox or youthful cavorting, it sounds
                                dreadful.
                                > Did we even have aspirin yet? Poor guy.
                                > ~Madelon
                                >

                                > >From: "WmHiram" <wmhiram@y...>
                                > >To: civilwarwest@y...
                                > >Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Neuralgia
                                > >Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 04:39:39 -0000
                                > >
                                > >--- In civilwarwest@y..., "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
                                > > > For Madelon and anyone else interested, I finally checked
                                > >Chadwick's > footnotes and he cites primarily a book I don't have
                                by
                                > >William C. > Davis, JEFFERSON DAVIS: THE MAN AND HIS HOUR.
                                > > > Chadwick says the symptoms mainly involved an inflamation of the
                                > >eye, > which symptoms "... indicate a viral herpes... usually
                                > >contracted by > men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-five
                                > >through sexual > relations..."
                                > > > [THE TWO AMERICAN PRESIDENTS : A DUAL BIOGRAPHY OF ABRAHAM
                                > > > LINCOLN AND JEFFERSON DAVIS by Bruce Chadwick]
                                > > > carl
                                > >
                                > >Oh heck, I completely forgot about herpes (zoster or simplex).
                                > >Herpes zoster is also called shingles, and is a sequela of chicken
                                > >pox. Even today the pain is referred to as herpetic neuralgia.
                                > >
                                > >Herpex simplex can either be of the cold sore variety or the
                                venereal
                                > >variety. Though if it were in the eye I'd put my greenbacks on it
                                > >being something besides venereal.
                                > >
                                > >So does this thread get on anybody's nerves?
                                > >
                                > >Billie

                              • WmHiram
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                  Um, James, I don't know where you got your medical information but
                                  belladonna is NOT the main ingredient in aspirin. Aspirin started
                                  out as a brand name for acetylsalicylic acid, and was synthesized by
                                  the Bayer company in Germany in the 1890s.

                                  However, belladonna is still used today in the form of B&O
                                  (belladonna and opium) suppositories for stubborn cases of diarrhea.
                                  We haven't come that far after all. :)

                                  Gotta go, I'm at work right now, stolen moments are the sweetest!

                                  Billie

                                  --- In civilwarwest@y..., "ACES_DUGOUT" <acesdugout@c...> wrote:
                                  > Hi Y'all
                                  > The basic for the Field surgeon or most Medical service was ether,
                                  alcohol
                                  > or bite on this.
                                  > And devil take the hindmost.
                                  > The sutler had patent medicines and they varied depending on source
                                  or
                                  > supplier.
                                  > but the main ingredient in aspirin is belladonna and that drug has
                                  been in
                                  > use since the middle ages although it is a deadly poison if used
                                  improperly
                                  > or refined incorrectly it's been around a long time.
                                  > Yours in service
                                  > James
                                  >
                                  > <excert.>
                                  > I have to confess that this info makes me feel
                                  > sorry for JD. I never liked him and never will, but whether his
                                  > affliction
                                  > was brought on by chicken pox or youthful cavorting, it sounds
                                  dreadful.
                                  > Did we even have aspirin yet? Poor guy.
                                  > ~Madelon
                                • carlw4514
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                    James may have been thinking of willow bark, the ancient precursor.
                                    However, the below suggests that ancient uses of salicylate-containing
                                    plants may not really have lead to modern use of the substance:
                                    http://www.mjm.mcgill.ca/issues/v02n02/aspirin.html
                                    Carl

                                  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                      In a message dated 7/1/2002 6:12:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wmhiram@... writes:

                                      However, belladonna is still used today in the form of B&O
                                      (belladonna and opium) suppositories for stubborn cases of diarrhea.
                                      We haven't come that far after all.  :)

                                      Tinture of Belladona also was one of the common doses given back in the thirties to kids that wet the bed.  Damn ugly tasting green stuff  ugh.
                                      Now I just wonder how I remember that after over 65 years.

                                      Wayne
                                    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                        In a message dated 7/1/02 8:10:57 PM Central Daylight Time, FLYNSWEDE@...
                                        writes:

                                        << Damn ugly tasting green stuff ugh.
                                        Now I just wonder how I remember that after over 65 years.

                                        Because it was "ugh!"
                                      • fishx111@cs.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                          So is the final answer HERPES?
                                        • melchizedek22
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                            Every once in a while I get spazums in my stomach
                                            from my nerves,nothing takes it away but belladonna
                                            or if your system gets going to fast belladonna slows it down
                                            I got a bottle of it now use it once twice a year.
                                            I remember as a kid my Mom giving me the green liquid
                                            it did taste terrible but it worked The Baron

                                            -- In civilwarwest@y..., Aurelie1999@a... wrote:
                                            > In a message dated 7/1/02 8:10:57 PM Central Daylight Time, FLYNSWEDE@A...
                                            > writes:
                                            >
                                            > << Damn ugly tasting green stuff ugh.
                                            > Now I just wonder how I remember that after over 65 years.
                                            > >>

                                            > Because it was "ugh!"
                                          • WmHiram
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                              Carl, thanks for the link. I glanced at it and it'll be worth
                                              reading at a time when I haven't expended all my brain power playing
                                              video games with the kids. :)

                                              Billie

                                            • hank9174
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 2, 2002
                                                Davis was blind in one eye, the right one IIRC. Was this a result to
                                                actual damage to the eye or to the nerve transmitting to the brain?

                                                I recall that he was frequently knocked out for days at a time from
                                                his neuralgia.

                                                HankC