[civilwarwest] 5th Wisconsin Battery

  • Steve Charles
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 1999
      Hi,
      I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members
      Thank you
      Steve Charles
    • willie wood
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999

        Hi Steve, I suggest you go to www.civilwarhome.com and ask Shotgun for the info your looking for (He is the man) and he can also tell you about a great chatroom that can help. Bonnie

        ----------
        From: Steve Charles <gunner@...>
        To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
        Subject: [civilwarwest] 5th Wisconsin Battery
        Date: Saturday, October 02, 1999 9:08 PM

        Hi, I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members Thank you Steve Charles

        [click here: <http://clickhere.egroups.com/img/000944/Jagged(2)-468x60.gif>]
        Click Here!

        <http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/944>
        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest <http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest>
        www.egroups.com <http://www.egroups.com> - Simplifying group communications

      • Dick Weeks
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999
          Steve Charles wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin
          > Battery or any of it's members
          > Thank you
          > Steve Charles

          Hi Steve,

          I'm not sure whether you have Dyer's Compendium but there is a minnie
          history in there of the 5th Wisconsin Battery that is short but has a
          lot of info about their participation in the war. In the Official
          Records, I found 40 references to them in the various reports.
          Additionally, there are after battle reports for the 5th at the Battle
          of Stones River (Murfreesborough), The Chickamauga Campaign, The Atlanta
          Campaign, and The Campaign of the Carolinas. The 5th Wisconsin Battery
          has a record in the war that is long and proud.

          I can send any one of these or all of them to you. I am reluctant to
          send anything without first checking to see if you already have the data
          (Heck, I may have already sent it and just don't remember). If you need
          any of this, just let me know. I ain't hard to find :-)

          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
          http://www.civilwarhome.com
        • Larry McGibben
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999
            Steve;

            I don't know much about the 5th Wisconsin Battery. However, I do know it was commanded by Capt. George Q. Gardner.  Hope this helps you some.

            Larry (KyReb)

            Steve Charles wrote:

             Hi,I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's membersThank youSteve Charles
            click here
            Click Here!
            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest

          • Terry Arliskas
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 1999

              Steve -

              I can give you this brief information about the 5th Wis. Light -

              Organized at Racine, Wis., Oct. 1, 1861 to serve 3 years - disbanded June 6, 1865.

              Commanders:  Captains Oscar F. Pinney, Charles B. Humphrey, George Q. Gardner, and Joseph McKnight.

              Original Strength of Battery - 155
              Gained by Recruits - 70
              Total Strength - 225

              Killed and Died of Wounds - 5
              Died of Disease - 19
              Total Deaths - 24

              Engagements Participated In:

              1862
              Farmington, Miss. - May 9 - 12
              Chaplin Hills, Tenn - Oct. 7 - 8
              Nolensville, Tenn. - Dec. 26

              1863
              Stones River, Tenn. - Dec. 31 - Jan 3
              Chickamauga (near) Ga. - Sept. 22 - 23

              1864
              Rock Face Ridge, Ga. May 8 - 12
              Resaca, Ga. - May 14 - 15
              Rome, Ga - May 17 - 18
              Dallas, Ga - May 27 - June 5
              Kenesaw Mountain, Ga. - June 15 - July 2
              Nickajack Creek, Ga. - July 3 - 4
              Chattahoochie River, Ga. - July 6 - 10
              Peach Tree Creek, Ga. - July 17 - 20
              Atlanta, Siege of - July 22 - Aug. 26
              Jonesboro, Ga - Sept. 1
              Savannah, Seige of - Dec. 13 - 31

              1865
              Bentonville, NC - March 18 - 21

              The best source of primary information would be at the Wisconsin State Historical Society, Madison, Wis. - check out their Arcat catalog at www.shsw.wisc.edu/archives/arcat.html - they have an extensive collection of primary material and are very helpful to researchers.  I'd be happy to make you a copy of the Battery's roster from the "Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers" if you so desire.  Also, for a brief history of the unit, I would recommend "Wisconsin in the war of Rebellion:  a History of All Regiments and Batteries" by William Love, and E.B. Quiner's "Military History of Wisconsin".  Both do a nice job, and I can make you copies of the chapters dealing with the 5th Battery if you'd like.  Hope this helps.

              Terry Arliskas

                From: "Steve Charles" <gunner@...>
              To: <civilwarwest@egroups.com>
              Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 21:08:47 -0400

              Hi,
              I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members
              Thank you
              Steve Charles

              Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
              http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805