Re: [civilwarwest] Re: / paroling and exchanging black troops

  • fishx111@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002
      What was the position on black troops. Some would not capture black troops ,
      but would kill them. The blacks however were used by the CSA , for manual
      labor, such as trenches , breast works etc.When suggested that if the former
      slaves served in the CSA ,and earn their freedom, wasnt it Jeff Davis who
      squashed this?But the CSA use of the blacks increased their manpower. Also at
      reunions some blacks were members of CSA units.So apparently some served in
      the CSA,even though people such as DAvis would not admit or their service to
      the CSA.So the standard was very flexible.
    • Jfepperson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2002
        In a message dated 6/4/02 12:52:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, fishx111@...
        writes:

        > What was the position on black troops. Some would not capture black troops
        ,
        > but would kill them.

        It very much depended on who did the capturing. Often some would be
        killed to serve as an example. The OR has some correspondence in the
        fall of 1863 between the Union post commander at Port Hudson and his
        local CS counterpart. The issue is the accusation that a Federal patrol
        of USCT men had been captured and executed. OTOH, we know
        there were black POWs in Andersonville and they actually had a higher
        survival rate than the white POWs.

        JFE