Re: Sgt Hart Diary Missionary Ridge Part 4 Final Part

  • wh_keene
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
      Could it
      > also be that they rested to allow those that had to drop out as a
      result of
      > the difficult time marching, to catch up and rejoin the regiment.

      Wayne,

      Cold also be to allow the rear untis to catch up with the front. A
      large sized force advancing like that would get strung out and need
      to be brought back together somewhat.

      Will
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
        Hello wh_keene@...,

        In reference to your comment:

        è Cold also be to allow the rear untis to catch up with the
        è front.  A  large sized force advancing like that would get
        è strung out and need  to be brought back together
        è somewhat.  Will

        A strong possibility.  My main concern however is that several historians have chided Sherman for being slow.   If I recall correctly,  Sherman started moving troops from Memphis and other parts West by railroads, but ran into not only a logistics problem, but also problems in having the trains get through.  [ rails torn up, bridges burnt, etc ]
        He then disembarked all troops that were on the trains and had them start marching towards Chattanooga.  Those that had not ridden on trains, started marching immediately for Chattanooga.  All in all, considering the terrain, the roads, the weather conditions, IMHO they did one hellava job and do not need criticism from latter day arm chair generals.

        Wayne
      • wh_keene
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
          "All in all, considering the terrain, the roads, the weather
          conditions..."

          Don't forget the 2 enemy cavalry forces (Chalmers(?)and SD Lee) that
          had to be defeated along the way...
          plus once close to Chatanooga, Ewing had to make a feint to Trenton...
          plus when they were done at Chattanooga, they marched on to
          Knoxville.