Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Grant's orders to Prentiss

  • Aurelie1999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 95 , Jun 2, 2002
      In a message dated 6/2/02 12:50:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
      josepharose@... writes:

      << 1) If Prentiss was putting words in Grant's mouth when he stated in
      his OR that Grant ordered him to "maintain that position at all
      hazards," why didn't Grant make some--any--response? >>

      Grant had a significant talent that made his command style fluid and
      successful. This talent stood out and was apparent throughout the war.
      Simply put he knew how to pick and chose his fights and minimize verbal
      spitting matches among his subordinates. I suggest he did not see semantic
      points of contention as wheel grease for forward movements to achieve the end
      goal.
      Connie
    • bobaldrich2001
      Message 95 of 95 , Jun 4, 2002
        This has been a most interesting discussion. Based on what Slippy
        says, and the general chorus of agreement, am I correct in drawing
        the conclusion that the pow-wow between Prentiss and Wallace was not
        over whether to retreat, but whether to "shift left"? And how long,
        approximately, were Prentiss's men out there on their own before they
        were captured?

        Bob Aldrich

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "bjer50010" <bjewell@i...> wrote:
        > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hartshje" <Hartshje@a...> wrote:
        > > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "slippymississippi" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hurlbut only states that he notified Prentiss that he was
        > shifting
        > > > left, not falling back. At the point that Hurlbut shifts to
        meet
        > > > the attackers massing to his left , Prentiss speaks with
        Wallace,
        > > > and together they shift left to cover the position left by
        > > > Hurlbut.
        > > >
        > > > Simultaneous to this, two massive assault columns are moving
        > > > through the thickets towards Prentiss' left (Hurlbut) and right
        > > > (Wallace). Soon after the shift was completed, Wallace was
        shot
        > > > dead and his men routed. Hurlbut was thrown back in a near-
        > rout.
        > > > At that point, troops were converging on roads *behind*
        Prentiss'
        > > > position. Even if Prentiss had wanted to escape at the instant
        > > > that Hurlbut began to withdraw, his path would have been
        blocked.

        > > > The fact of the matter is that Prentiss did *indeed* attempt to
        > > > flee the position after realizing his situation. However, the
        > > > envelopment was complete and he was unable to cut his way out.
        > > > I still maintain that the thickets and smoke prevented Prentiss
        > > > from realizing both the urgency of Hurlbut's withdrawal and the
        > > > extent to which Wallace's division had disintegrated. In fact,
        > the
        > > > disintegration was probably more a result of the sudden and
        > > > overwhelming artillery bombardment by the entire Confederate
        > first
        > > > corps than the death of Wallace. At this point, the
        Confederate