Re: [civilwarwest] Index for MOLLUS volumes

  • lilsteve68@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
      In a message dated 6/2/02 7:39:37 AM Central Daylight Time, Jfepperson@... writes:

      What website?  There was no URL in the message.

      JFE

      I Think he is referring to  the File Section  at the Civil War West YahooGroups page..

      Steven
    • thecoys@kingcon.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
        Joseph,
        Thank you. This is outstanding.

        Kevin S. Coy

        josepharose wrote:

        > Under the "Files" section of this website, I just uploaded an Excel
        > spreadsheet named "MOLLUS index post.xls" which contains an index
        > for the MOLLUS volumes.
        >
        > It seems to work well with just a click. As there are some 1300
        > articles in the several score of volumes, finding what you want
        > might be somewhat difficult (finding something interesting, however,
        > is quite easy).
        >
        > One method would be to click on either the "Title" or "Author"
        > column and then select "Edit/Find." The rightmost column contains
        > the names of several major battles so that articles on them can be
        > identified by quickly paging down.
        >
        > I hope that this is useful. If there is an index out there which is
        > better, tell me and this file can be deleted. I find it helpful
        > when researching any particular topic.
        >
        > Joseph

      • josepharose
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., thecoys@k... wrote:
          > Joseph,
          > Thank you. This is outstanding.
          >
          > Kevin S. Coy

          Kevin,

          Thank you for the compliment.

          If any civilwarwest members get their posts through e-mail and not
          through the website, my message might have been confusing. The
          Files section is accessed through the website, although I can e-mail
          the spreadsheet to those who may want the file.

          I just opened up the file and, at least on my PC, could select
          Data/Filter/Autofilter. This allowed me to go the
          rightmost "battles" column, choose one battle from the dropdown
          button, and see those articles with the name of the battle in the
          title of the article. Be warned that not all articles--even
          including some with the name of the battle in the title--will be
          listed.

          If I improve the spreadsheet in the future, I'll post it. One
          thought is to have a new column--or use "battles"--to contain the
          name of any general who is the subject of an article. The list of
          battles could, of course, be extended to other actions.

          I hope that this proves useful.

          Joseph