Wilder's Lightning Brigade

  • ecm777@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2002
      clarkc@... writes:
      However, after Chickamauga they seem to vanish from the stage. What happened? other duty? under-manned? mustered out? something else?

      dan_cone@... writes:
      I must confess, rather guiltily, that I also didn't know what happened
      afterwards to Wilder's brigade.  Thanks for the information; incidentally,
      what happened to the great man himself?

      Gentlemen I don't know much about Wilder after the war except he liked Chattanooga so well he returned to become the mayor.  I found the website listed below which is interesting and this snipe from another website that I can't locate the addy on at the moment.  Hope this helps

      Regards
      Colleen aka CWgal

      "The brigade fought with distinction at Hoover's Gap, Tennessee, and Chickamauga, Georgia. Wilder received a brevet brigadier general's commission on August 7, 1864, but was compelled to resign on October 4 because of recurring typhoid fever. In 1866 Wilder moved from Greensburg to Chattanooga, Tennessee, in search of a more healthful climate. He became a successful industrialist and prominent community leader. He moved to Johnson City, Tennessee, where he capitalized on the future of coal and the railroads; later he bought water- rights along the Tennessee River. Wilder died while vacationing in Jacksonville, Florida, on October 20, 1917, and was buried in Forest Hills Cemetery in Chattanooga."

      Click here: Wilder's Lightning Brigade History