Ltr #21 Loaned $5, by H. B. Talbert

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2002
      for Lady Liberty, the flag,
      St. George and the dragon.
      (Favorite Tidbits - 1862, May 24)]
      ______________
      [Top left of page 1.  Red, white, and blue print of Lady Liberty, flag, shield, and liberty pole and cap.
      Also an imprint of Saint George and the dragon.]

      Jefferson City  Cole County Mo

      May  the  24th  1862

           Dear  Parents

      As I have a few idle moments this Evening I will improve them by writing you a few lines informing you that I received the letter that Mother and Mariah wrote.  Last Evening I was glad to hear that you was all well and hope these few lines will find you all enjoying the Same.  I am well and hearty and in very fine spirits.  George Wilcoxon is still Sick in the Hospital, But was getting better.  The last I heard he was able to be up and walk around the room.  If not Providentially hindered I am going to see him tomorrow.  It has been two weeks since I saw him, then he looked very bad.  Oliver is still waiting on the sick at the hospital.  He is well and hearty or was the last I heard (which was two days ago). George is the only one now sick in the hospital from this company.  The health is extremely good amongst the soldiers, also in the surrounding country as far as I know.  I received a letter this evening from Jacob Bower.  They were camped by the Columbia Bridge across the Shanandoah River [in VA].  He had been sick five or six days, but was recovering.  There is several thousand troops here now mostly [Mo.] State Malitia. Some left here yesterday morning for Springfield Mo, more going to start next Secondday [Monday].  But no prospect of us leaving as I see at present.

      The rebels are getting tolerable saucy around here.  But nothing has occurred right close here worth relating.  How darest the ignorant wretches risk their lives in such a cause.  I pity them.  And hope they will soon see their error.  And be made to regret that they were ever found fighting against their countrys rights and liberties.  Yesterday we were paid off.  And recvd the same as before $26.00.  I am going to express about twenty dollars home.  You may look for it at the express office at Shelbyville about the last of next week (the first of June).  The reason I dont send more is this, the boys hasent all paid me for cooking.  And since I commenced this letter I have loaned five dollars to a friend Charles Hungleford, (his father was the man old Bixler killed) until next pay day.  [.....].  The reason I have delayed writing so long is this, since I have been cooking I have been kept so busy that I wrote just as few letters as I could handily make do, just answering all that I received.  And if you want to hear from me oftener you must write oftener.  Tell Alpheus I wrote to him pretty near two months ago and havent received an answer yet. Nothing more at present but remain as ever your well wishing son

                                                                     Harrison Talbert

      P. S.  Write whenever convenient, direct as before.  Give my love and respects to Mr Rosendale

                                                       H.  Talbert

      [The second time I read these letters I read them out loud.  It seems to add to the meaning and feeling of the letter.]