Wilder's Brigade

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2002
      John T. Wilder was a volunteer officer from Indiana who cut his
      eyeteeth defending Munfordville, KY during Bragg;s invasion in the
      early fall of 1862. Forced to surrender there, he was exchanged, lead
      a brigade at Stone's River and took a prominent role in the Tullahoma
      campaign and the battle of Chickamauga.

      His brigade ranks with the Texas, Iron and Stonewall (in no particular
      order) as the finest shock troops in the war. However, after
      Chickamauga they seem to vanish from the stage. What happened? other
      duty? under-manned? mustered out? something else?

      HankC
    • Mark Jaeger
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2002
        Hi Hank,

        I was rather surprised at your last comments since the record of
        "Wilder's Lightning Brigade" (actually commanded by Abram O. Miller from
        late 1864 onward) has long been well known. "WLB" served with distinction
        right up to the end of the war including participation in the Atlanta
        Campaign and the capture and occupation of Selma and Montgomery AL in
        April 1865. There are plenty of sources you can consult including a
        number of regimental histories. Former Sgt. Ben. Magee's "History of the
        72nd Indiana" (published 1882 and reprinted by Acorn Press) is one of the
        best of these. You can also consult the "Indiana in the Civil War" and
        "Illinois in the Civil War" websites to obtain capsule service records of
        the regiments within Wilder's Brigade. The U.S. Army MHI also has
        excellent on-line bibliographies for Wilder's Brigade units as well.

        I have a personal interest in "WLB" since the 72nd Indiana was actually
        raised at Camp Tippecanoe right here in Lafayette, IN (I live three blocks
        from the original site) and many of its veterans are buried in local
        cemeteries. 72nd Colonel A. O. Miller was from Lebanon, IN less than 1/2
        down the road. 72nd historian Benjamin Magee is buried in Montmorenci
        Cemetery, just a few miles from where I write this.

        It might interest you to know that I am currently editing the previously
        unpublished wartime letters of three 72nd Indiana men who served in the
        same company I expect to have these published either this or early next
        year by a major university press. I can't go into specifics at this point
        but CAN tell you these letters are superb and will make a singular
        addition to the "WLB" bibliography.

        Best wishes,

        Mark Jaeger
        Lafayette, IN

        On Fri, 31 May 2002, hank9174 wrote:

        > John T. Wilder was a volunteer officer from Indiana who cut his
        > eyeteeth defending Munfordville, KY during Bragg;s invasion in the
        > early fall of 1862. Forced to surrender there, he was exchanged, lead
        > a brigade at Stone's River and took a prominent role in the Tullahoma
        > campaign and the battle of Chickamauga.
        >
        > His brigade ranks with the Texas, Iron and Stonewall (in no particular
        > order) as the finest shock troops in the war. However, after
        > Chickamauga they seem to vanish from the stage. What happened? other
        > duty? under-manned? mustered out? something else?
        >

        > HankC

      • Dan Cone
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2002
          >I was rather surprised at your last comments since the record of
          >"Wilder's Lightning Brigade" (actually commanded by Abram O. Miller from
          >late 1864 onward) has long been well known.

          I must confess, rather guiltily, that I also didn't know what happened
          afterwards to Wilder's brigade. Thanks for the information; incidentally,
          what happened to the great man himself?

          Dan

        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2002
            Thanks for the info. Was WLB at Chattanooga?

            I have a poor understanding of whom their division CO was.

            I suppose at Selma they were under James H. Wilson and fighting
            strictly as cavalry?

            HankC

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Mark Jaeger
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2002
              Hi Hank,

              Yes sir, it did. Particularly after the post-Chickamauga Federal
              withdrawal back to Chattanooga. As for its division commander, it
              depends on what period you're talking about since, s you likely know, all
              of the regiments in Wilder's Brigade were initially organized as
              "ground-pounders" (the 123rd Illinois really took it on the chin at
              Perryville).

              Wilder's Brigade was, indeed, part of Wilson's Cavalry Corps (1st Bde.,
              2nd Div.) October 1864-June 1865.

              You can see a capsule bio of J. T. Wilder at:

              http://www.indianainthecivilwar.com/hoosier/wilder.htm

              Regards,

              Mark

            • Bill Bruner
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
                I'm just wondering if they became better mounted as time went by.
                Surely they did.

                Bill Bruner
              • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
                  In a message dated 10/2/2006 5:33:54 A.M. Central Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:
                  I'm just wondering if they became better mounted as time went by.
                  Surely they did.

                  Bill Bruner
                  Bill,

                  Yes they did. At first, they were largely mounted on locally confiscated horses and mules. By 1864, they were drawing replacement mounts from the US Army.

                  The 39th Indiana, which was sort of associated with Wilder, eventually became the 8th Indiana Cavalry in October 1863, but Wilder's men retained their infantry designations.

                  Dave Powell