Re: Widows and Orphans

  • jackehmer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2002
      Kristin,

      No offense taken. Hopefully, most of us are here to learn. If you
      keep an open mind and listen to what others have to say, you are
      bound to change your views somewhat.Even my opinion of Forrest has
      softened somewhat(not much, mind you)due to what I have learned here
      and the research it has led me to do. Regardless of my opinion of him
      as a person, I can still recognize his talent as a soldier.

      BTW, I did some research on the book by Jack Hurst that you
      mentioned, From what I read, I will definitely put it on my reading
      list.

      Jack

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., Kristin Scherrer <wacogaurds64@y...> wrote:

      > "But the way the South was ruthlessly treated after the war is a
      disgrace.
      > there was no Marshall Plan, as some of the WWII defeated had. I
      think that if
      > Lincoln had not been assasinated, that his reconstruction would
      have been
      > better."
      >
      > I know we are ending this duscussion, but I fully agree with this
      point. I am not a fan of Lincoln, but I do believe all he wanted was
      union of the nation and would have welcomed the South back with open
      arms and there possibly would have been no need for the KKK. I do
      apologize for my seemingly harsh comments I have made, I was in no
      way directly meaning to disrespect anyone in the group. I would
      suggest an agreement to disagree, as we all have our views on the
      matter it seems. I did not in any way mean to cause such
      disruption. I usually keep quiet and simply read what everyone
      writes, I will try to remain doing that and once more, I was not
      intending to offend anyone at all! VERY sorry if I did!

      > Kristin
      >
      > fishx111@c... wrote: Actually there were more widows in the
      North.The grief was not one sided. My
      > grt grt Grandfather lost 2 of three sons who fought for the North,
      the 3rd
      > somehow survived small pox.One of my other great grandfathers lost
      his only
      > brother. My great grandmother who was born in Va in 1843, but moved
      to South
      > Central Ohio abt 1878, I have no history on her family at this
      time, but will
      > probably come up with a CSA connection, since my grt grandfather
      was her
      > second marriage she may have been one of the widows you write abt.
      >
      > But the way the South was ruthlessly treated after the war is a
      disgrace.
      > there was no Marshall Plan, as some of the WWII defeated had. I
      think that if
      > Lincoln had not been assasinated, that his reconstruction would
      have been
      > better.
      >
      > But both sides suffered. The Southern part of Ohio had a lot of
      Raiders and
      > did face John Hunt Morgan, which of course pales to the conflict in
      Va.

      > I am just trying to interject some objectivity in this foray.
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.