War in the west

  • Hugh Martyr
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2000
      Like Graham Lee I too am from the U.K. and that a lot of my correspondence has been in the question category. My interest in the Civil War started with an American Teacher at High School and all he told me and all that I had to read on the subject concentrated on the Eastern theatre of the war. Many years later I was in the States and the interest was reborn with a trip to Gettysburg. Then I started reading and studying and came to the conclusion that it was out west that the war was won. Then some years later I was lucky to land a job in America and toured around much of the western area of conflict. However, talking to many people who only have passing interest in the war my ideas were usually not agreed with. The old ideas of the Army under Grant grinding Lee down out East was to them the deciding matter. Not back in the U.K I still work to get the correct understanding over, but am still by no means fully knowledgable about the subject. Is there anyone out there that is. I have learnt so much from this site and feel somewhat selfish that  I have not put an equal amount back in in ideas and theories, I will try harder to do so. I am trying at the moment to understand Gen. Hood's mind in his invasion of Tennesee, what made him attack at Franklin and not stay down south and at least try to hinder Sherman. Wasn't a winter campaign a campaign too far?
      I am etc,
      Hugh Martyr
    • Hugh Martyr
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2000