Re: Ltr #7 American Express, by H. B. Talbert

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2002
      Wow, bureaucratic red-tape! What a shock!
      And we complain about paying 34 cents to get a letter from NY to LA
      in three days!

      Jack, just wanted to let you know that these letters you interject
      every once in a while are quite interesting and worth reading.
      Keep 'em coming.

      Joe H.

      -- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jack Hultquist" <jahultqu@a...> wrote:
      > Firstday Night
      > Camp Near Otterville Missouri
      >
      > January the 19th 1862
      >
      > Dear Brother [Alpheus 26]
      >
      > [.....]. I recvd a letter from Uncle several days ago in
      which you wrote a few lines stating how you sent them things, also
      that you was going to write me & George a letter in a few days. We
      have anxiously looked for that letter for several days, and havent
      recvd it up to this time. We have also anxiously looked for those
      things you sent us, but have been sadly disappointed in [not]
      receiving them. I have wrote two letters to St Louis ordering them
      to forward them on to Otterville. I first wrote a letter to the
      General Freight Agent of the St Louis and Alton R. R. [railroad], I
      then found out by a letter that [brother] Abel sent me that you had
      sent them by Adams Express Comp[any]. I then wrote a letter to the
      Adams Express Comp on the 6th inst ordering them to forward them
      immediately and we would pay all charges, and they havent come yet.
      Albert J. Hall had a box sent to him by Obed Barnard, Obed ordered it
      to be sent by the American Express, and they sent it by Adams
      Express. Obe found out the mistake and wrote on to St Louis to the
      Adams Express ordering them to forward it to Otterville. Hall recvd
      the box last week, and it was started since ours was. I want you to
      see how these things was sent and write on to the company and order
      them to be forwarded to Otterville Mo immediately, telling them we
      will pay all charges. Halls box was sent without the express charge
      being paid. We would be glad to get the things before winter breaks,
      for after winter breaks we wont need a great many of the things.
      [.....]. Tell Uncle I recvd his letter, and have been so busy I have
      neglected to answer it. Alpheus; your envelops and stamps come in
      good play, so good that they are both gone. Nothing more at present
      but remain your well wishing brother

      > Harrison Talbert
      to Alpheus & Family

      > N. B. Direct your letters to St Louis Capt Cockefairs, 3 Ind
      Battery.

      > Cockefair is the Capt but he never gave us any
      orders to