[civilwarwest] 5th Wisconsin Battery

  • Steve Charles
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 1999
      Hi,
      I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members
      Thank you
      Steve Charles
    • willie wood
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999

        Hi Steve, I suggest you go to www.civilwarhome.com and ask Shotgun for the info your looking for (He is the man) and he can also tell you about a great chatroom that can help. Bonnie

        ----------
        From: Steve Charles <gunner@...>
        To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
        Subject: [civilwarwest] 5th Wisconsin Battery
        Date: Saturday, October 02, 1999 9:08 PM

        Hi, I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members Thank you Steve Charles

        [click here: <http://clickhere.egroups.com/img/000944/Jagged(2)-468x60.gif>]
        Click Here!

        <http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/944>
        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest <http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest>
        www.egroups.com <http://www.egroups.com> - Simplifying group communications

      • willie wood
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999
            Steve Charles wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin
            > Battery or any of it's members
            > Thank you
            > Steve Charles

            Hi Steve,

            I'm not sure whether you have Dyer's Compendium but there is a minnie
            history in there of the 5th Wisconsin Battery that is short but has a
            lot of info about their participation in the war. In the Official
            Records, I found 40 references to them in the various reports.
            Additionally, there are after battle reports for the 5th at the Battle
            of Stones River (Murfreesborough), The Chickamauga Campaign, The Atlanta
            Campaign, and The Campaign of the Carolinas. The 5th Wisconsin Battery
            has a record in the war that is long and proud.

            I can send any one of these or all of them to you. I am reluctant to
            send anything without first checking to see if you already have the data
            (Heck, I may have already sent it and just don't remember). If you need
            any of this, just let me know. I ain't hard to find :-)

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            http://www.civilwarhome.com
          • Dick Weeks
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999
              Steve Charles wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin
              > Battery or any of it's members
              > Thank you
              > Steve Charles

              Hi Steve,

              I'm not sure whether you have Dyer's Compendium but there is a minnie
              history in there of the 5th Wisconsin Battery that is short but has a
              lot of info about their participation in the war. In the Official
              Records, I found 40 references to them in the various reports.
              Additionally, there are after battle reports for the 5th at the Battle
              of Stones River (Murfreesborough), The Chickamauga Campaign, The Atlanta
              Campaign, and The Campaign of the Carolinas. The 5th Wisconsin Battery
              has a record in the war that is long and proud.

              I can send any one of these or all of them to you. I am reluctant to
              send anything without first checking to see if you already have the data
              (Heck, I may have already sent it and just don't remember). If you need
              any of this, just let me know. I ain't hard to find :-)

              Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
              http://www.civilwarhome.com
            • Larry McGibben
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999
                Steve;

                I don't know much about the 5th Wisconsin Battery. However, I do know it was commanded by Capt. George Q. Gardner.  Hope this helps you some.

                Larry (KyReb)

                Steve Charles wrote:

                 Hi,I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's membersThank youSteve Charles
                click here
                Click Here!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 11, 1999

                    Steve -

                    I can give you this brief information about the 5th Wis. Light -

                    Organized at Racine, Wis., Oct. 1, 1861 to serve 3 years - disbanded June 6, 1865.

                    Commanders:  Captains Oscar F. Pinney, Charles B. Humphrey, George Q. Gardner, and Joseph McKnight.

                    Original Strength of Battery - 155
                    Gained by Recruits - 70
                    Total Strength - 225

                    Killed and Died of Wounds - 5
                    Died of Disease - 19
                    Total Deaths - 24

                    Engagements Participated In:

                    1862
                    Farmington, Miss. - May 9 - 12
                    Chaplin Hills, Tenn - Oct. 7 - 8
                    Nolensville, Tenn. - Dec. 26

                    1863
                    Stones River, Tenn. - Dec. 31 - Jan 3
                    Chickamauga (near) Ga. - Sept. 22 - 23

                    1864
                    Rock Face Ridge, Ga. May 8 - 12
                    Resaca, Ga. - May 14 - 15
                    Rome, Ga - May 17 - 18
                    Dallas, Ga - May 27 - June 5
                    Kenesaw Mountain, Ga. - June 15 - July 2
                    Nickajack Creek, Ga. - July 3 - 4
                    Chattahoochie River, Ga. - July 6 - 10
                    Peach Tree Creek, Ga. - July 17 - 20
                    Atlanta, Siege of - July 22 - Aug. 26
                    Jonesboro, Ga - Sept. 1
                    Savannah, Seige of - Dec. 13 - 31

                    1865
                    Bentonville, NC - March 18 - 21

                    The best source of primary information would be at the Wisconsin State Historical Society, Madison, Wis. - check out their Arcat catalog at www.shsw.wisc.edu/archives/arcat.html - they have an extensive collection of primary material and are very helpful to researchers.  I'd be happy to make you a copy of the Battery's roster from the "Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers" if you so desire.  Also, for a brief history of the unit, I would recommend "Wisconsin in the war of Rebellion:  a History of All Regiments and Batteries" by William Love, and E.B. Quiner's "Military History of Wisconsin".  Both do a nice job, and I can make you copies of the chapters dealing with the 5th Battery if you'd like.  Hope this helps.

                    Terry Arliskas

                      From: "Steve Charles" <gunner@...>
                    To: <civilwarwest@egroups.com>
                    Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 21:08:47 -0400

                    Hi,
                    I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members
                    Thank you
                    Steve Charles

                    Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
                    http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805