Re: [civilwarwest], Questions for group.

  • Don Myers
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2000
      Group;

      I am doing some research and have come across two (2) questions I hope someone may have the answer to.

      1). I have found out that in 1862 the Tennessee River was navigatable by riverboats, etc. from the Ohio River to Muscle Shoals, Alabama.  Does anyone know how far East the Cumberland River was Navigatable by transports/gunboats/etc?  Obviously at least to Nashville, but how much further?

      2). A couple of months ago there were some posts re: the size of the supply wagons.  In studying Bragg's 1862 Invasion of Kentucky it states he brought along 20,000 shoulder arms for the volunteers he had hoped to find there.  Probably not all were crated.  But how many rifles were in a crate?  How many crates would fit into the typical supply wagon?  How many wagons would it take to haul all of those weapons?  Did they bring ammunition for these guns?  How long would such a supply train stretch?

      I know no.2 has more than one question in it......but the numbers for just the guns alone seem mind boggling, not to mention the feed for the animals, and the supplies normally taken on a campaign.
      Hope to hear from someone soon.

      I remain, your most humble and obedient servant;
      Don Myers.
    • Don Myers

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1 7:14 PM
          Dear Don,
          Cannot be any help at all on question #1. Being British with the benefit
          of a Brit. education I didn't find out until about 18 months ago that the
          Western Front even existed.
          From my army cadet days I can offer the following. The Lee Enfield .303
          rifles we used weighed approx 10lb and were crated in 12's on the basis that
          120lb was about the maximum weight that could be thrown from ground to
          truckbed by two reasonably fit men and still leave them able to repeat the
          process as part of a gang for a reasonable time. From pictures I have seen of
          the weapons of the time I guess the weight of each piece to be similar so I
          would suggest (on the same basis but subsitute "wagonbed" for "truckbed")
          that 12's would be reasonable again. This would give approx. 1670 crates of
          12 weapons - dimensions approx 5ftx2ftx2ft (if memory serves).
          Ball and powder was generally packed by weight, even if the powder is
          ready packed into cartridges at the arsenal. I would guess that the same
          weight rule would apply as packing of carts would have been done by the same
          method as for rifles.
          Hope this is of some assistance.
          Yours sincerely
          Graham Lee