Re: [civilwarwest] Digest Number 49

  • Kim Pearson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2000
      Hi George

      I do have some information on Gen. Slack. He is buried at the Confederate
      Cemetery in Fayetteville, AR and I am in the organization(Southern Memorial
      Association) that owns and maintains the Cemetery. Here is what is reported
      in our history:

      For many years the most honored name on East Mountain was that of Brigadier
      General W.Y. Slack of Missouri, who was interred in the center of the
      compass at the convergence of the state plots on Thursday, May 27, 1880.

      Brigadier General Slack now rests at the base of the Missouri plot, his
      grave marked by this epitaph: In memory of W.Y. Slack, Brigadier General,
      son of John and Polly Caldwell Slack of Boone County, Mo., Ky., graduate of
      Missouri State University, Captain in the Mexican War, fell at the Battle
      of Pea Ridge March 7, 1862, while leading his brigade of Missouri
      Confederate soldiers. Died March 21, 1862. Forever honored, forever
      mourned."

      I gather from this that Gen. Slack was buried in the center of the Cemetery
      until 1897 when they put up a large monument in the center. They then moved
      his body to the head of the Missouri troops plot since he was from Missouri.

      I also found some stuff about Slack in a book I happened to be reading last
      weekend, the book is PEA RIDGE, CIVIL WAR CAMPAIGN IN THE WEST and it is by
      William L. Shea and Earl J. Hess. In this book they briefly describe Gen.
      Slack's unit and what happened o him at Pea Ridge. He led the 2nd Missouri
      Brigade, which had not been yet organized into regiments. The men were
      placed in 3 temporary battalions of 3 infantry, 1 cavalry and 2 batteries.

      Before the battle, as the armies skirmished one of the few casualties was
      Gen. Slack. The book says that he was a popular, capable officer whose one
      weakness was the tendency to expose himself recklessly. He had been severly
      wounded at Wilson's Creek and was not yet fully recovered, but he insisted
      on being at the head of his troops. After the repulse of the 3rd Illinois
      Cavalry, Slack rode forward to see what was happening. He was still well in
      advance of his own line when Vandever's 2nd Brigade arrived and skirmishing
      erupted. The fatal bullet struck Slackin the lower abdomen onlt a few
      inches from his earlier wound.

      .net 06/28/00 02:36AM >>>
      > Ok Guys. I need help! I need any and all information anyone has on a
      William
      > Y Slack Bridg General Served at Wilson Creek and Bentonville Ar under
      Price.
      > Any help will be appraicated.
      >
      > Regards
      > CoB