[civilwarwest] 5th Wisconsin Battery

  • Steve Charles
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 1999
      Hi,
      I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members
      Thank you
      Steve Charles
    • Steve Charles
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999

          Hi Steve, I suggest you go to www.civilwarhome.com and ask Shotgun for the info your looking for (He is the man) and he can also tell you about a great chatroom that can help. Bonnie

          ----------
          From: Steve Charles <gunner@...>
          To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
          Subject: [civilwarwest] 5th Wisconsin Battery
          Date: Saturday, October 02, 1999 9:08 PM

          Hi, I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members Thank you Steve Charles

          [click here: <http://clickhere.egroups.com/img/000944/Jagged(2)-468x60.gif>]
          Click Here!

          <http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/944>
          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest <http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest>
          www.egroups.com <http://www.egroups.com> - Simplifying group communications

        • willie wood
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999
              Steve Charles wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin
              > Battery or any of it's members
              > Thank you
              > Steve Charles

              Hi Steve,

              I'm not sure whether you have Dyer's Compendium but there is a minnie
              history in there of the 5th Wisconsin Battery that is short but has a
              lot of info about their participation in the war. In the Official
              Records, I found 40 references to them in the various reports.
              Additionally, there are after battle reports for the 5th at the Battle
              of Stones River (Murfreesborough), The Chickamauga Campaign, The Atlanta
              Campaign, and The Campaign of the Carolinas. The 5th Wisconsin Battery
              has a record in the war that is long and proud.

              I can send any one of these or all of them to you. I am reluctant to
              send anything without first checking to see if you already have the data
              (Heck, I may have already sent it and just don't remember). If you need
              any of this, just let me know. I ain't hard to find :-)

              Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
              http://www.civilwarhome.com
            • Dick Weeks
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999
                Steve Charles wrote:

                > Hi,
                > I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin
                > Battery or any of it's members
                > Thank you
                > Steve Charles

                Hi Steve,

                I'm not sure whether you have Dyer's Compendium but there is a minnie
                history in there of the 5th Wisconsin Battery that is short but has a
                lot of info about their participation in the war. In the Official
                Records, I found 40 references to them in the various reports.
                Additionally, there are after battle reports for the 5th at the Battle
                of Stones River (Murfreesborough), The Chickamauga Campaign, The Atlanta
                Campaign, and The Campaign of the Carolinas. The 5th Wisconsin Battery
                has a record in the war that is long and proud.

                I can send any one of these or all of them to you. I am reluctant to
                send anything without first checking to see if you already have the data
                (Heck, I may have already sent it and just don't remember). If you need
                any of this, just let me know. I ain't hard to find :-)

                Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                http://www.civilwarhome.com
              • Larry McGibben
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 1999
                  Steve;

                  I don't know much about the 5th Wisconsin Battery. However, I do know it was commanded by Capt. George Q. Gardner.  Hope this helps you some.

                  Larry (KyReb)

                  Steve Charles wrote:

                   Hi,I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's membersThank youSteve Charles
                  click here
                  Click Here!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 11, 1999

                      Steve -

                      I can give you this brief information about the 5th Wis. Light -

                      Organized at Racine, Wis., Oct. 1, 1861 to serve 3 years - disbanded June 6, 1865.

                      Commanders:  Captains Oscar F. Pinney, Charles B. Humphrey, George Q. Gardner, and Joseph McKnight.

                      Original Strength of Battery - 155
                      Gained by Recruits - 70
                      Total Strength - 225

                      Killed and Died of Wounds - 5
                      Died of Disease - 19
                      Total Deaths - 24

                      Engagements Participated In:

                      1862
                      Farmington, Miss. - May 9 - 12
                      Chaplin Hills, Tenn - Oct. 7 - 8
                      Nolensville, Tenn. - Dec. 26

                      1863
                      Stones River, Tenn. - Dec. 31 - Jan 3
                      Chickamauga (near) Ga. - Sept. 22 - 23

                      1864
                      Rock Face Ridge, Ga. May 8 - 12
                      Resaca, Ga. - May 14 - 15
                      Rome, Ga - May 17 - 18
                      Dallas, Ga - May 27 - June 5
                      Kenesaw Mountain, Ga. - June 15 - July 2
                      Nickajack Creek, Ga. - July 3 - 4
                      Chattahoochie River, Ga. - July 6 - 10
                      Peach Tree Creek, Ga. - July 17 - 20
                      Atlanta, Siege of - July 22 - Aug. 26
                      Jonesboro, Ga - Sept. 1
                      Savannah, Seige of - Dec. 13 - 31

                      1865
                      Bentonville, NC - March 18 - 21

                      The best source of primary information would be at the Wisconsin State Historical Society, Madison, Wis. - check out their Arcat catalog at www.shsw.wisc.edu/archives/arcat.html - they have an extensive collection of primary material and are very helpful to researchers.  I'd be happy to make you a copy of the Battery's roster from the "Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers" if you so desire.  Also, for a brief history of the unit, I would recommend "Wisconsin in the war of Rebellion:  a History of All Regiments and Batteries" by William Love, and E.B. Quiner's "Military History of Wisconsin".  Both do a nice job, and I can make you copies of the chapters dealing with the 5th Battery if you'd like.  Hope this helps.

                      Terry Arliskas

                        From: "Steve Charles" <gunner@...>
                      To: <civilwarwest@egroups.com>
                      Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 21:08:47 -0400

                      Hi,
                      I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members
                      Thank you
                      Steve Charles

                      Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
                      http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805