[civilwarwest] Re: Officers held Accountable for Crimes by Subordinates

  • Kristine Statham
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2000
      Wayne, thanks so much for the very interesting information. From all accounts this "Tarnished Eagles" is a must addition to my library. Thanks again.

      Respectfully

      Kristine

      >>> oaksw@... 07/05/00 01:45PM >>>
      Kristine,

      Regarding your inquiry about Commanders charged with allowing their
      subordinates to pillage and plunder, I provide the following from "Tarnished
      Eagles," Chap 36, pg. 161-164:

      One Colonel, John Basil Turchin (formerly Ivan Vasilovitch Turchinoff of the
      Don Province, Russia), "was court-martialed for neglect of duty, in that he
      allowed his troops to plunder the town of Athens (Alabama), rape female
      slaves, and set free male slaves, who committed further crimes."

      "The court found Tuchin guilty and sentenced him to be dismissed, but added
      the following request for clemency: 'The undersigned members of General
      Court-martial before which was tried Colonel J. B. Turchin, respectfully
      submit that in view of the fact that the finding of the Court acquits
      Colonel Turchin of any personal dishonor, and believing that his offenses
      were committed under exciting circumstances and was one rather of omission
      than of commission, we would respectfully recommend him to the favorable
      consideration of the Reviewing Officer.' "

      His wife successfully persuaded President Lincoln to set the verdict aside
      and to promote COL Turchin to Brigadier General.

      I hope this will assist your research.

      p.s. I tried sending this from my permanent home e-mail forgetting it is
      not registered with the group.

      Regards,
      Wayne

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2000
        unsubscribe

      • CLAYTON BRANNON
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2000
          If I my memory serves me correctly this is the same General Turchin, "The
          Mad Cossack", who served the Union cause and General Thomas very well at
          Chickamauga in September of 1863. I am not sure when the incident
          described was committed but I am sure that there was plenty of atrocities,
          both reported and unreported, committed by both sides during the war. It
          seems that internecine almost always breeds an unusual amount of hatred on
          both sides of conflict.
          Click here for Free Video!!
          http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/

          > Regarding your inquiry about Commanders charged with allowing their
          > subordinates to pillage and plunder, I provide the following from
          "Tarnished
          > Eagles," Chap 36, pg. 161-164:
          >
          > One Colonel, John Basil Turchin (formerly Ivan Vasilovitch Turchinoff of
          the
          > Don Province, Russia), "was court-martialed for neglect of duty, in that
          he
          > allowed his troops to plunder the town of Athens (Alabama), rape female
          > slaves, and set free male slaves, who committed further crimes."
          >
          > "The court found Tuchin guilty and sentenced him to be dismissed, but
          added
          > the following request for clemency: 'The undersigned members of General
          > Court-martial before which was tried Colonel J. B. Turchin, respectfully
          > submit that in view of the fact that the finding of the Court acquits
          > Colonel Turchin of any personal dishonor, and believing that his offenses
          > were committed under exciting circumstances and was one rather of omission
          > than of commission, we would respectfully recommend him to the favorable
          > consideration of the Reviewing Officer.' "
          >
          > His wife successfully persuaded President Lincoln to set the verdict aside
          > and to promote COL Turchin to Brigadier General.
          >
          > I hope this will assist your research.
          >
          > p.s. I tried sending this from my permanent home e-mail forgetting it is
          > not registered with the group.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Wayne

        • Bill Brown
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2000
            At 08:34 PM 7/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
            >If I my memory serves me correctly this is the same General Turchin, "The
            >Mad Cossack", who served the Union cause and General Thomas very well at
            >Chickamauga in September of 1863. I am not sure when the incident
            >described was committed

            Hi!

            There is a good description of General Turchin and his service record in
            Peter Cozzens' work on Chickamauga. He and his brigade performed
            brillantly at both Chickamauga and Chattanooga. According to Cozzens,
            Turchin's wife went with him in the field, and served as ad hoc nurse to
            the men in the brigade. I believe she was with brigade in some of it's
            heavy fighting at Chickamauga.

            Regards,
            Bill

            "Mix 'em up. I'm tired of State's Rights"
            Major General George H. Thomas, USA
            William H. (Bill) Brown, C.A.
            Governors' Records Archivist
            North Carolina State Archives
            4614 Mail Service Center
            Raleigh, North Carolina 27601-4614
            919-733-3952 (T)
            919-733-1354 (F)
            wbrown@...
            "These opinions expressed in this communication may not
            reflect those of my agency"
          • Bill Brown
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2000