Ltr #6 Hunter, Fremont, Sigel, & Price, by H. B. Talbert

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 9:25 PM

      Sunday Morning

      [Warsaw] Benton County Mo

      Oct 27th  1861

      Dear Brother & Sister

      [Brother-in-law Eli age 37 and sister Louisa 31 the preacher]

            [.....].  We are camped on a little stream by the name of Turkey Creek about 15 miles South of Warsaw (Warsaw is the County Site of this County).  We left our Camp 3 miles South of Tipton last Secondday [Monday] and marched some every day this last week and only come about 75 or 80 miles.  We are in a brigade of 5,000 under General Hunter but there is 15,000 in this division.  This division is in the center, Fremont and Sigel is on the right, and there is another division on the left.  When we left our camp last Secondday [Monday] we expected to have a battle with Price  [a Confederate] right here on this ground where we are now camped but there is no prospect for a battle here now.       turn [page] over

           2 Page

      It is the report now that Price has left the state and that we will stay here till next Fifthday [Thursday] and then start back to St Louis.  But there is so many reports that is not true that I dont no whether this is so or not.  It has been very nice and pleasant weather here for the last 8 or 10 days (with the exception of one day which was cloudy, blustery, and cold) frosty mornings and warm and pleasant during the day.  On our march here we seen fine times nothing but fun to those that was well.  The roads was good and solid, but from Warsaw here it is awful hilly and rocky.  Nothing happened during our march worth relating.  The people in Indiana ought to be thankful to God that they are as well situated as what they are.  For here in Missouri some of them sees hard times.  In the little towns as generally speaking are about one half gone, and a good many through the country.  Some of the farmers along the road where we come hadent had any coffee or sugar for four months.  And the rebel troops just stripped things as they went through.  Our troops would steal some too, but they darsent [dare not] to do it.  General Hunter is as strict as a preacher on this, he wont allow them to steal any thing at all.  The most of the people through here are secessionists.

           3  page

      The secessinists hung two union men right close to here and made some take the oath that they wouldent fight against them.  I am very well satisfied not at all homesick.  But I would feel a great deal better satisfied if this war was at an end and peace and h[a]rmony would reign over this nation again and all the soldiers could return home to their friends.  I felt lost for a long time whenever Firstday [Sunday] would come and [I] couldnt have the privilege of going to church.  I never wanted to hear preaching as bad in my life as I do now.  [.....].  I feel that I have your sincere prayers and best wishes which I feel thankful for.  I will bring my letter to a close by asking you to write to me without fail. Direct your letter to Tipton Monitea Co Mo, Captain Frybargers Artillery Company.  I send my respects to all my relations and friends.  So nothing more at present but remain your affectionate brother until death

                                           Harrison Talbert     to     Eli & Louisa Myer

      N. B.     If you should not hear from me soon again do not be uneasy for we may get where our letters will not go, and one other thing I had forgot we cant get any postage stamps and have to get our letter franked.

      [In 1861 when Harrison wrote these letters the United States was only 85 year old.]