RE: [civilwarwest] Re:UNSUBSCRIBE

  • Lieberum, Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
      I agree, do not leave, get something started, like:

      During the battle of Chickamauga, as Longstreet's troops turned north to hit
      Snodgrass Hill. Colonel Wilder with his Lightning Brigade, thought of
      charging straight though Longstreet to get to Thomas. I believe that if he
      had ignore Dana, and did that, it would have been successful and changed the
      whole battle.

      Thoughts?

      Steve Lieberum

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
        I don't recall if the battle was essentially decided at that point or
        not. Weren't a large no. of Federal troops routed by that point? Of
        course, Wilder's brigade had repeaters, and so could deliver a lot of
        firepower. If I recall correctly, Longstreet heard Wilder's brigade at
        one point and feared that a new corps (division?) had arrived for the
        Federals. Here's my own what if: at Franklin, would the outcome have
        been any different if Opdycke's brigade had not been in position to
        repulse the Confederates that broke through at the Carter house?
        Andy

        "Lieberum, Steve" wrote:

        > I agree, do not leave, get something started, like:
        >
        > During the battle of Chickamauga, as Longstreet's troops turned north to hit
        > Snodgrass Hill. Colonel Wilder with his Lightning Brigade, thought of
        > charging straight though Longstreet to get to Thomas. I believe that if he
        > had ignore Dana, and did that, it would have been successful and changed the
        > whole battle.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > Steve Lieberum

      • carpmaster
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
          cob2mo wrote:

          > Not enough western theater for me. Sorry!

          So lets get a new thread started.
        • cob2mo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
            Sorry folks, anything east of the Mississippi is Eastern Theater to me> Must
            bow out. Please don't think I am upset with any of you, as I am not. I know
            a good deal of you from the chat room and will "see" you there.
            Regards
            CoB