Ltr #1 Election of Officers, by H. B. Talbert

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 7:45 PM

      [Hope you enjoy the letters.  If you see errors in my research or want to expand upon the data please let me know.]

      [For clarity some punctuation has been added to the letters.  The spelling is above average for the 1860's.

      [   ] - compiler's notes

      [...] - repetitious portions

              omitted to save space]

      [
      Remember the name
      George K. Wilcoxon,
      Harrison B. Talbert's
      bunk mate.]
      _____________
      [In the upper left corner
      of page 1 is a red, white,
      and blue print of a
      smoking cannon with
      the U.S. flag in the
      background.]

      Indianapolis  wednesday
      August the 14th   1861

           Dear Father & Mother

                 Brothers & Sisters

           I sit down to write you a few lines.  I am as well as common and well satisfied and in fine spirits.  I hope this will find you all well, and contented with the way I have done.  [Harrison B. Talbert being a Quaker was concerned about being disowned by his family.]  We are not mustered [enlisted] into service yet nor I dont know when we will be.  Colonel Wood has promised to muster us in every day for the last four or five days and we cant leave till we are mustered in (or examined).  Nor I cant tell when I will be at home, but I will be at home against Seventhday [Saturday] night if I can.  George Wilcoxon and me bunks together.  George is in fine spirits but we are getting tired of laying around and doing nothing.  We have elected our officers and are ready to go to work as soon as we are mustered into service.  There is two first Lieutenants, Cockefair is our first Lieut., and Armington is the second First Lieut.  L Thrasher Second Lieut.  If there is any of the boys in our settlement that wants to volunteer in this company [Third Indiana Battery] tell them to come ahead they still take volunteers.

           You must excuse [me] for not writing more for I expect to be at home before long so nothing more at present but remain your affectionate son

                                                                           Harrison Talbert

      [It was almost two years before Harrison got home for the first time.]