Re: [civilwarwest] Re: SCG epilogue

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 179 , May 1, 2002
      Hello theme_music@...,

      In reference to your comment:

      è "You are with Genl Patterson.  There are two A no. 1
      è men there—Geo. H  Thomas Col. 2nd cav.—and capt
      è Sykes 3rd Inf….Thomas is a  Virginian..he must feel
      è unpleasant at leading an invading army—but if  he
      è says he will do it I think he will do well—He was never
      è brilliant  but always cool, reliable &
      è steady—maybe a little slow."

      <<I'm not
      insisting I "know" this for certain, but it seems more likely than
      Sherman keeping his views of Thomas to himself, waiting for an
      opportune moment to stab him in the back.  >>

      I don't think that calling Thomas is an  A no 1 man is stabbing in the back, nor is describing him cool and reliable.  Never brilliant -  don't know, but could this refer to his classroom expertise while at the point.  A little slow - perhaps, but was he one to rush to judgement or to act in a manner that was irrational.  No  All in all, I believe he was mostly positive in his description of Thomas to his brother John.  BTW  it was on Sherman's suggestion to his brother that Thomas be promoted and be transferred to the Dept of Kentucky with him in August of 1861.

      Wayne
    • wh_keene
      Message 179 of 179 , May 16, 2002
        Hi Dave.

        I never have subscribed to it though I have picked up occassional
        issues at the bookstore when the lead story grabs me. I know of a
        used bookstore that stocks old issues--will look for the one you
        mentioned

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., David Woodbury <woodbury@s...> wrote:
        > At 9:18 PM +0000 4/30/02, wh_keene wrote:
        > >I agree that our discussion was "getting a tad unwieldy." My work
        > >situation has changed, so I haven't been able to follow this board
        as
        > >closely as I used to. Only today could I catch up. The thread had
        > >become so unwieldy that it seemed to have become about what I said
        > >about what you said about what I said about what you said and it
        was
        > >hard to make sense of it without going back and starting over.
        >
        > Will,
        >
        > Haven't been able to keep up with the discussions lately -- things
        > like work, classes, Giants baseball, two small children, and the
        > opening of the trout season all combined to push Snake Creek Gap
        far
        > into the background. I did want to say, however, that I wasn't
        > ignoring your last missive on the subject.
        >
        > I've subsequently come across the March 2001 issue of "North &
        > South," with Steven H. Newton's article, "What Really Happened at
        > Snake Creek Gap?" I've just started through it, and will try to
        > convey the main points here. I'm curious to see if he brings
        anything
        > new to the discussion, or summarizes the conflicting views much as
        we
        > have done. Based on the subtitle, he may be more sympathetic to
        your

        > "The conventional account of the opening of the
        > 1864 Georgia Campaign is that William T. Sherman
        > swiftly bamboozled Joseph E. Johnston. There is another
        > interpretation."
        >
        > Do you, by chance, subscribe to and keep back issues of "North &
        South"?