Re: [civilwarwest] Hard hand of war.

  • hartshje@aol.com
    Message 1 of 56 , Dec 31, 1969

      "It was not Nathaniel Lyon's job to exercise compassion. It was his job to "preserve, protect and defend" the United States of America. As a graduate of West Point I believe he took an oath to that effect."

      Steve responded with;

      "I have always been under the impression that the quote above was added to the oath after the war and because of the war."

      I believe Steve is correct, although I don't know any reference sources off-hand to prove it. But in any case, the North was neither "protecting" or "defending" itself at the outset of the war. I will grant you that "preserving" did fit the situation. But does ANY philosophy, ideal, law, etc., justify waging war on women and children who are not under arms? I thought this country was based first and foremost on the right of the "individual" to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

      I will admit that N. Lyon was a fighter, and a brave leader, and I don't thank God that anyone was killed. As fascinated as I am with the Civil War, I still believe it was an immense waste of the lives of hundreds of thousands of brave, patriotic men, and I believe the differences between North & South could have, and should have been settled through a peaceful process.

      Joe H.
    • J Clink
      Message 56 of 56 , Jul 2, 2000
        Thanks for the info! I haven't really done a lot of reading about military
        tactics and practices. I do know that Napolean drafted people, but more out of
        necessity -- which I guess is always the case. The book I read marked the
        decline of Napolean's success with the killing off of his veterans through
        near-continual war. (Wish I had the book at hand...) Because his army did use
        quite a few innovative tactics, once the well-trained were gone, there wasn't
        time to train their replacements as thoroughly.

        My main point, though, was more about the Civil War having been taken very
        personally by a good many of its soldiers. ('Course, apparently the conscripts
        wouldn't be the most committed!) So-called True Believers in any war seem to
        intensify the bloodshed. It seems in a democracy, if the citizen-soldiers
        actually VOTED for or against the war, they'd feel more personally involved.

        I know there's a lot I don't know, though!