Re: SCG epilogue

  • David Woodbury
    Message 1 of 179 , Apr 15, 2002
      Dave, very good. Thanks for sending along this link. I'll have a look
      at it. I used to have a book in my library called "The Atlanta
      Papers," put out by Morningside, and I wonder if this essay is part
      of that collection. I cannot find that book anywhere.

      David

      At 9:08 AM -0700 4/15/02, David Mercado wrote:
      >I finally received a paper from the Atlanta History Center that may be the
      >definitive treatment to date of the Confederate Snake Creek Gap SNAFU.
      >
      >Not that anyone wants to reopen that can of worms in the Civil War West
      >forum, but for your information, the historian Kurtz substantiates your side
      >of the story: Johnston was totally surprised. He also says that General
      >Wheeler had enough general instructions from Johnston that he should have
      >had plenty of scouts in all the gaps even though Johnston was sure that
      >McPherson at most would try a raid to Rome.
      >
      >>http://home.att.net/~dmercado/snakecreek.htm
    • wh_keene
      Message 179 of 179 , May 16, 2002
        Hi Dave.

        I never have subscribed to it though I have picked up occassional
        issues at the bookstore when the lead story grabs me. I know of a
        used bookstore that stocks old issues--will look for the one you
        mentioned

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., David Woodbury <woodbury@s...> wrote:
        > At 9:18 PM +0000 4/30/02, wh_keene wrote:
        > >I agree that our discussion was "getting a tad unwieldy." My work
        > >situation has changed, so I haven't been able to follow this board
        as
        > >closely as I used to. Only today could I catch up. The thread had
        > >become so unwieldy that it seemed to have become about what I said
        > >about what you said about what I said about what you said and it
        was
        > >hard to make sense of it without going back and starting over.
        >
        > Will,
        >
        > Haven't been able to keep up with the discussions lately -- things
        > like work, classes, Giants baseball, two small children, and the
        > opening of the trout season all combined to push Snake Creek Gap
        far
        > into the background. I did want to say, however, that I wasn't
        > ignoring your last missive on the subject.
        >
        > I've subsequently come across the March 2001 issue of "North &
        > South," with Steven H. Newton's article, "What Really Happened at
        > Snake Creek Gap?" I've just started through it, and will try to
        > convey the main points here. I'm curious to see if he brings
        anything
        > new to the discussion, or summarizes the conflicting views much as
        we
        > have done. Based on the subtitle, he may be more sympathetic to
        your

        > "The conventional account of the opening of the
        > 1864 Georgia Campaign is that William T. Sherman
        > swiftly bamboozled Joseph E. Johnston. There is another
        > interpretation."
        >
        > Do you, by chance, subscribe to and keep back issues of "North &
        South"?