Re: [civilwarwest] Further replies to David Woodbury

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 2, 2002
      In a message dated 4/2/2002 10:44:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, woodbury@... writes:

      As I said in a previous post, I have long ago softened my criticisms
      of Johnston. He was an able general and a worthy opponent. Most of
      our arm-chair critiques of historic figures are unrealistic, or
      skewed -- in many respects, we know too much. In certain very real
      respects, for example, we know more about what transpired at
      Gettysburg than Lee did on his deathbed. Johnston is not deserving of
      the harshest criticisms leveled at him by McMurry, I don't think;
      likewise Sherman and the scathing indictments leveled at him by
      Castel. Both generals penned extraordinarily self-serving memoirs,
      but it's hard to find a Civil War general who didn't.

      That said, though I am more generous to Johnston these days, there's
      only so far that reason and logic allow me to go. To believe that
      Johnston was not surprised, or caught off guard, by McPherson at
      Snake Creek Gap is too far.

      David

      Land of Goshen David,  we agree on something.  <g>
      As you said above that he was an able General and a worthy opponent.  That is my feeling as well.  Yes he made mistakes.  All of the commanders did;  Grant, Thomas, Sherman, Bragg, Lee, McClellan, Hood, and yes Johnston all had their fair share of errors for which they wish that they had the foresight to do something different.  I believe however, with the odds that he was facing, he did a pretty doggone good job holding Sherman back with costing Sherman more lives than he would lose.  It just seems to me, he is overly criticized and belittled.  One of the main reasons that I tend to admire him, was that he was a soldier's general.  That within itself, depicts a form of good leadership capabilities.  Morale was never higher in the AOT but when he was in command.

      Wayne
    • hank9174
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 8, 2002
        I don't recall the details...but maybe the Snake Creek Gap discussion
        can move south a bit...We've been their longer than Sherman and
        Johnston were ;)

        HankC

        > But I would say that Sherman DID work on the flanks and get Johnston
        > worried about his supply line; he worked Johnston out of his
        positions
        > by manuevering him out IMHO. Kennesaw Mountain seems to be the
        > exception, what got into him there ??
        > carl
        > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
        > >
        > > unre,
        > >
        > > The occasional counter-punch get be very effective. Sometimes it
        hits
        > > air, sometimes it hits muscle, sometimes it gets through and hits
        the
        > > jaw.
        > >
        > > If you can get the opponent worried about their flanks and their
        > > supply line and their line of rtreat there is not much left to
        > > concentrate on offensive operations. I do not recall that Sherman
        much
        > > concerned himself with any of these (I suppose he considered
        cavalry
        > > raids on the railroad a potential nuisance); all his time was
        devoted
        > > to the offense.
        > >
        > > Johnston seems to have had it in the back of his mind that if a
        golden
        > > opportunity presented itself (a la Seven Pines) he would attack.
        This
        > > assumes his opponent blunders, so again he is waiting on the
        opponent
        > > rather than creating an opportunity himself.
        > >
        > > IIRC, Johnston was 'relieved' by a union bullet at Fair Oaks/Seven
        > > Pines. Personally, whatever we say about these fellows ability
        with
        > > strategy and tactics, most were extremely brave and willing to
        lead by
        > > example.
        > >

        > > HankC
        > >

        > > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
        > > > Will, what do you think of Johnston's basic ideas of handling a
        > > > situation like he was handed here? We know the advantages in
        numbers
        > > > and resources went to the enemy, a problem for any general.
        > > Johnston's
        > > > tactics seem to be to make a stand and back up to the next best
        > > > defendable position when flanking pressure eased him out of his
        > > > redoubt. You know the whole situation in this part of the
        Atlanta
        > > > Campaign was damned similar to the Peninsula Campaign and in
        both
        > > > instances Johnston was relieved of command when he allowed the
        enemy
        > > > to eventually get basically to the city limits!
        > > > -So my question is, did Johnston's tactics as you describe them
        > > really
        > > > suffice? Johnston wanted to do battle, if Sherman would attack
        his
        > > > fortified positions, but Sherman wasn't going to play ball that
        way.
        > > > Did Johnston get backed up too easily? I sometimes think so.
        What
        > > > could he have done differently?

        > > reluctant

        > > something