Dodge's hungry men at Resaca

  • wh_keene
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2002
      Since the food situation among Dodge's men has come up I have a
      question. When (between driving off the enemy cavalry at dawn and
      skirmishing around Resaca at dusk) should Dodge have halted his men
      for a meal?

      Also please note McPherson's order on the 8th [v.38, pt.4 , pg 87]:
      "The men will have provisions for three days issued to them to-night
      if they can be procured; if not, make things go as far as possible."

      Ps: Joe Rose, do you have a reference for "especially as Thomas
      quickly recommended sending in one of his corps to reinforce
      McPherson after the AotT had breezed through the gap, IIRC."? And
      what was Sherman's response?