Re: Snake Creek--reply to Lee

  • pcallen3
    Message 1 of 149 , Apr 2, 2002
      > I don't have a map handy, but couldn't Sherman have started Hooker's
      > men (~20,000) marching from Dug Gap (not too far away) through Snake
      > Creek Gap on the heels of McPherson? That way, Mac would have known
      > that he had sufficient force available--certainly enough to hold a
      > defensive position against Johnston. With Mac's troops already
      > there, the Confederates couldn't keep Hooker out. Even if, Johnston
      > noticed Hooker moving, it would have been too late.
      >
      > If such a move was planned in advance, it would have been even
      > easier; I can see no likely way in which Johnston could have noticed
      > that Hooker's men--if kept behind McPherson's--would have been
      > noticed in time for the Rebels to have done any better. The
      > Confederates didn't see Mac going through the gap with the first
      > 23,000.
      >
      > Joseph

      I agree in general with this proposition, but you wouldn't want to
      leave Dug Gap open for a flanking move would you? This requires
      bringing troops from farther north to fill the gap (so to speak).
      Such sideways movements by entire armies were not unheard of, but were
      more complicated and thus more prone to error. Such a move might also
      tip your hand to Johnston.
      Philip
    • William H Keene
      Message 149 of 149 , Jun 17, 2006
        Yesterday I had the opportunity to drop by the library and check out
        Schofield's memoirs. It is interesting reading in light of our
        discussion about Sherman and incidents of the Atlanta campaign. If I
        have the chance I will transcribe some of it for the group. He has
        critical things to say about Sherman yet also seems to admire him.