Re: What the historians say (Snake Creek Gap)

  • dmercado
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
      > In a message dated 4/1/2002 9:36:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,

      > JEJ was the overall commander, but the commanders at Tunnel Hill,
      >Rockyface, Rome, Calhoun, and Resaca had the responsibility to make
      >sure that their area of command would be protected and secure
      >without JEJ telling them what time to go to the outhouse.

      Wayne, I am trying to get a copy of a paper entitled "Why was Snake
      Creek Gap Left Unguarded?" by Wilbur Kurtz, Sr. I think he was an
      Atlanta historian and his papers belong to the Atlanta Historical
      Society. I sent them an email asking for a copy of this paper. Have
      you ever seen the paper? Best regards, Dave
    • josepharose
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2002
        An on-line edition of "The Colonel's Diary" by Oscar Jackson noted
        the following for May 9, 1864 concerning Mac's timid advance: "It is
        my judgment we should have occupied the town [i.e., Resaca] at all
        hazards and thus destroyed the rebel use of the railroad and cut off
        their retreat. But time will tell who is right as I and Captain
        Fitzsimmons have just remarked to one another."

        Time has told: Jackson was right.

        Joseph
      • melchizedek22
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2002
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
          > In a message dated 4/1/2002 9:36:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          > carlw4514@y... writes:
          >

          > > What do you think about
          > > Wheeler's performance? Does he deserve criticism if not "scapegoat"
          > > status?
          > > carl
          > >

          > Carl,
          > Wheeler does deserve some criticism but he should not be the scapegoat. I
          > tend to think of Wheeler's age and the possibility of mistakes as a result of
          > either immaturity or just as a result of faulty judgement. Wheeler, like
          > Forrest, liked to raid more than be the eyes of the army. Apparently, his
          > troops did keep JEJ informed fairly well on McPhersons movements. Now
          > according to what I have discovered, there were two gaps that would allow
          > passage of McPherson's troops to Resaca, with SCG being the narrowist. The
          > other gap was fairly well fortifide (forgot the name of that gap) and I
          > assume that the forces that were there were Wheeler's, in addition to other
          > troops.
          > It appears that Wheeler suddenly said to himself, Hey wait a minute, there
          > are two gaps. I had better send a brigade over to SCG just to be on the safe
          > side. Well that brigade did find out to their surprise that McPherson did
          > indeed use SCG to transverse to Resaca. The rest has been well discussed.
          >
          > JEJ was the overall commander, but the commanders at Tunnel Hill, Rockyface,
          > Rome, Calhoun, and Resaca had the responsibility to make sure that their
          > area of command would be protected and secure without JEJ telling them what
          > time to go to the outhouse. If you are in command, then command. JEJ was
          > too far distant with respect to time to make each and every instant decision.
          > JEJ however, as Army commander, is blamed for everything, just as Sherman
          > is blamed for every fire set in the South.
          >
          > Wayne

          Wayne,I think it was Sherman,who sold Mrs O'Leary her cow!
          The Baron
        • melchizedek22
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 2, 2002
            --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
            > In a message dated 4/1/2002 9:36:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            > carlw4514@y... writes:
            >

            > > What do you think about
            > > Wheeler's performance? Does he deserve criticism if not "scapegoat"
            > > status?
            > > carl
            > >

            > Carl,
            > Wheeler does deserve some criticism but he should not be the scapegoat. I
            > tend to think of Wheeler's age and the possibility of mistakes as a result of
            > either immaturity or just as a result of faulty judgement. Wheeler, like
            > Forrest, liked to raid more than be the eyes of the army. Apparently, his
            > troops did keep JEJ informed fairly well on McPhersons movements. Now
            > according to what I have discovered, there were two gaps that would allow
            > passage of McPherson's troops to Resaca, with SCG being the narrowist. The
            > other gap was fairly well fortifide (forgot the name of that gap) and I
            > assume that the forces that were there were Wheeler's, in addition to other
            > troops.
            > It appears that Wheeler suddenly said to himself, Hey wait a minute, there
            > are two gaps. I had better send a brigade over to SCG just to be on the safe
            > side. Well that brigade did find out to their surprise that McPherson did
            > indeed use SCG to transverse to Resaca. The rest has been well discussed.
            >
            > JEJ was the overall commander, but the commanders at Tunnel Hill, Rockyface,
            > Rome, Calhoun, and Resaca had the responsibility to make sure that their
            > area of command would be protected and secure without JEJ telling them what
            > time to go to the outhouse. If you are in command, then command. JEJ was
            > too far distant with respect to time to make each and every instant decision.
            > JEJ however, as Army commander, is blamed for everything, just as Sherman
            > is blamed for every fire set in the South.
            >
            > Wayne

            Sherman,also taught Nero to play the fiddle/ The Baron