Re: [civilwarwest] Re: What the historians say (Snake Creek Gap)

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2002
      In a message dated 4/1/2002 9:36:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:

      What do you think about
      Wheeler's performance? Does he deserve criticism if not "scapegoat"
      status?
      carl

      Carl,
      Wheeler does deserve some criticism but he should not be the scapegoat.  I tend to think of Wheeler's age and the possibility of mistakes as a result of either immaturity or just as a result of faulty judgement.  Wheeler, like Forrest, liked to raid more than be the eyes of the army.  Apparently, his troops did keep JEJ informed fairly well on McPhersons movements.  Now according to what I have discovered, there were two gaps that would allow passage of McPherson's troops to Resaca, with SCG being the narrowist.  The other gap was fairly well fortifide (forgot the name of that gap) and I assume that the forces that were there were Wheeler's, in addition to other troops.
      It appears that Wheeler suddenly said to himself, Hey wait a minute, there are two gaps.  I had better send a brigade over to SCG just to be on the safe side.  Well that brigade did find out to their surprise that McPherson did indeed use SCG to transverse to Resaca.  The rest has been well discussed.

      JEJ was the overall commander, but the commanders at Tunnel Hill, Rockyface, Rome,  Calhoun, and Resaca had the responsibility to make sure that their area of command would be protected and secure without JEJ telling them what time to go to the outhouse.  If you are in command, then command.  JEJ was too far distant with respect to time to make each and every instant decision.  JEJ however, as Army commander, is blamed for everything,  just as Sherman is blamed for every fire set in the South.

      Wayne
    • dmercado
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2002
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
        > In a message dated 4/1/2002 9:36:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,

        > JEJ was the overall commander, but the commanders at Tunnel Hill,
        >Rockyface, Rome, Calhoun, and Resaca had the responsibility to make
        >sure that their area of command would be protected and secure
        >without JEJ telling them what time to go to the outhouse.

        Wayne, I am trying to get a copy of a paper entitled "Why was Snake
        Creek Gap Left Unguarded?" by Wilbur Kurtz, Sr. I think he was an
        Atlanta historian and his papers belong to the Atlanta Historical
        Society. I sent them an email asking for a copy of this paper. Have
        you ever seen the paper? Best regards, Dave
      • josepharose
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 1, 2002
          An on-line edition of "The Colonel's Diary" by Oscar Jackson noted
          the following for May 9, 1864 concerning Mac's timid advance: "It is
          my judgment we should have occupied the town [i.e., Resaca] at all
          hazards and thus destroyed the rebel use of the railroad and cut off
          their retreat. But time will tell who is right as I and Captain
          Fitzsimmons have just remarked to one another."

          Time has told: Jackson was right.

          Joseph
        • melchizedek22
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 2, 2002
            --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
            > In a message dated 4/1/2002 9:36:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            > carlw4514@y... writes:
            >

            > > What do you think about
            > > Wheeler's performance? Does he deserve criticism if not "scapegoat"
            > > status?
            > > carl
            > >

            > Carl,
            > Wheeler does deserve some criticism but he should not be the scapegoat. I
            > tend to think of Wheeler's age and the possibility of mistakes as a result of
            > either immaturity or just as a result of faulty judgement. Wheeler, like
            > Forrest, liked to raid more than be the eyes of the army. Apparently, his
            > troops did keep JEJ informed fairly well on McPhersons movements. Now
            > according to what I have discovered, there were two gaps that would allow
            > passage of McPherson's troops to Resaca, with SCG being the narrowist. The
            > other gap was fairly well fortifide (forgot the name of that gap) and I
            > assume that the forces that were there were Wheeler's, in addition to other
            > troops.
            > It appears that Wheeler suddenly said to himself, Hey wait a minute, there
            > are two gaps. I had better send a brigade over to SCG just to be on the safe
            > side. Well that brigade did find out to their surprise that McPherson did
            > indeed use SCG to transverse to Resaca. The rest has been well discussed.
            >
            > JEJ was the overall commander, but the commanders at Tunnel Hill, Rockyface,
            > Rome, Calhoun, and Resaca had the responsibility to make sure that their
            > area of command would be protected and secure without JEJ telling them what
            > time to go to the outhouse. If you are in command, then command. JEJ was
            > too far distant with respect to time to make each and every instant decision.
            > JEJ however, as Army commander, is blamed for everything, just as Sherman
            > is blamed for every fire set in the South.
            >
            > Wayne

            Wayne,I think it was Sherman,who sold Mrs O'Leary her cow!
            The Baron
          • melchizedek22
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 2, 2002
              --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
              > In a message dated 4/1/2002 9:36:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              > carlw4514@y... writes:
              >

              > > What do you think about
              > > Wheeler's performance? Does he deserve criticism if not "scapegoat"
              > > status?
              > > carl
              > >

              > Carl,
              > Wheeler does deserve some criticism but he should not be the scapegoat. I
              > tend to think of Wheeler's age and the possibility of mistakes as a result of
              > either immaturity or just as a result of faulty judgement. Wheeler, like
              > Forrest, liked to raid more than be the eyes of the army. Apparently, his
              > troops did keep JEJ informed fairly well on McPhersons movements. Now
              > according to what I have discovered, there were two gaps that would allow
              > passage of McPherson's troops to Resaca, with SCG being the narrowist. The
              > other gap was fairly well fortifide (forgot the name of that gap) and I
              > assume that the forces that were there were Wheeler's, in addition to other
              > troops.
              > It appears that Wheeler suddenly said to himself, Hey wait a minute, there
              > are two gaps. I had better send a brigade over to SCG just to be on the safe
              > side. Well that brigade did find out to their surprise that McPherson did
              > indeed use SCG to transverse to Resaca. The rest has been well discussed.
              >
              > JEJ was the overall commander, but the commanders at Tunnel Hill, Rockyface,
              > Rome, Calhoun, and Resaca had the responsibility to make sure that their
              > area of command would be protected and secure without JEJ telling them what
              > time to go to the outhouse. If you are in command, then command. JEJ was
              > too far distant with respect to time to make each and every instant decision.
              > JEJ however, as Army commander, is blamed for everything, just as Sherman
              > is blamed for every fire set in the South.
              >
              > Wayne

              Sherman,also taught Nero to play the fiddle/ The Baron