Re: Digest Number 754

  • melchizedek22
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 12:44 PM
      Bob I read the whole book,what I didn't like,was right from the get go,he pretty much said,this would be a Sherman bashing book,and the whole
      book is written in a negative attitude,even toward Alberts hero Thomas
      But then with all the negative about Sherman he ends with
      "Still Sherman did take Atlanta,and in so doing,to quote from a
      letter of congratulation sent from Grant,'accomplished the most gigantic undertaking given any general in the war."
      This in itself gave and always will give,Sherman a distinguished place in the history of the Civil War and of his nation".

      It seems he figured the only way to sell books is write a bash book
      No one in my CWRT cared much for it either,they were selling them
      dirt cheap. The Baron

      - In civilwarwest@y..., "Robert\(Bob\) Taubman" <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
> [...]
    • Robert(Bob) Taubman
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 12:59 PM
        Thank you for your comments. I was wondering because the book seems to get good
        reviews concerning the campaign generally (no pun intended). I wasn't much of a
        Sherman fan myself but I've been trying to read more about him to perhaps soften
        my opinion. I did enjoy Sherman, Fighting Prophet by Lloyd Lewis but then there
        would be those who found him to be too much of a Sherman fan. My next
        challenge will be to try and be objective reading Perryville by Noe who is
        critical of Thomas. Shame, shame, shame!! ;-)

        Bob Taubman

        | Bob I read the whole book,what I didn't like,was right from the get go,he
        pretty much said,this would be a Sherman bashing book,and the whole
        | book is written in a negative attitude,even toward Alberts hero Thomas
        | But then with all the negative about Sherman he ends with
        | "Still Sherman did take Atlanta,and in so doing,to quote from a
        | letter of congratulation sent from Grant,'accomplished the most gigantic
        undertaking given any general in the war."
        | This in itself gave and always will give,Sherman a distinguished place in the
        history of the Civil War and of his nation".

        | It seems he figured the only way to sell books is write a bash book
        | No one in my CWRT cared much for it either,they were selling them
        | dirt cheap. The Baron
        |

        | - In civilwarwest@y..., "Robert\(Bob\) Taubman" <rtaubman@r...> wrote:

        | > |
        | > |

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2 11:11 AM
          Bob ,Maybe you should read Dr John Marzelek's book
          he's somewhere between Lewis and Albert The Baron

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2 12:10 PM
            That one's on the shelf in front of me along with Fellman's, Citizen Sherman. I
            will get to it though.

            Thank you for the suggestion.

            Bob
            | Bob ,Maybe you should read Dr John Marzelek's book
            | he's somewhere between Lewis and Albert The Baron
            |

            | - In civilwarwest@y..., "Robert\(Bob\) Taubman" <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
            | > Thank you for your comments. I was wondering because the book seems to get
            good
            | > reviews concerning the campaign generally (no pun intended). I wasn't much
            of a
            | > Sherman fan myself but I've been trying to read more about him to perhaps
            soften
            | > my opinion. I did enjoy Sherman, Fighting Prophet by Lloyd Lewis but then
            there
            | > would be those who found him to be too much of a Sherman fan. My next
            | > challenge will be to try and be objective reading Perryville by Noe who is
            | > critical of Thomas. Shame, shame, shame!! ;-)
            | >
            | > Bob Taubman

            | > |
            | > |
            | > |
            | > |
            | > |
            | > |

            | > | > |
            | > | > |

            Just
            | > how
            | > |
            | > |
            | > |
            | > |
            | > |
            | > | Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            | > |
            | > |

          • melchizedek22
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2 12:51 PM
              I belong to Cump&Co,a Sherman Newsletter group
              they hate Citizen Sherman more than any other book
              I like some of it,but it is full of wild assumptions
              especially about his marriage to Ellen Ewing Sherman