Re: Snake Creek--reply to Lee

  • melchizedek22
    Message 1 of 149 , Apr 1, 2002
      In hind sight Joseph,I think sending Hooker along
      would have been the best move,one thing ,didn't
      Hooker rank Mac The Baron-

      -- In civilwarwest@y..., "josepharose" <josepharose@y...> wrote:

      > > You may denigrate my argument by calling it a "what-if", but it is
      > one
      > > that I dare say all of the historians you mentioned in your earlier
      > > post have discussed at length. It is key to our understanding of
      > > Snake Creek Gap. I agree that once the bulk of Sherman's troops
      > are
      > > arrayed in front of Rocky Face Ridge that any large movement in
      > > support of McPherson will be detected by Johnston's intelligence
      > > sources. Johnston demonstrated this effectively by holding his
      > troops
      > > at Dalton for days after McPherson was reported threatening his
      > rear.
      > > It was not until the bulk of Sherman's troops were pulled out that
      > > Johnston pulled up stakes and headed for Resaca. No doubt he was
      > > hoping against hope that Sherman would assault his fortifications
      > at
      > > Rocky Face Ridge a la Fredricksburg or Missionary Ridge. But, if
      > > when the Union forces have taken Taylor's Ridge, and are
      > approaching
      > > Rocky Face Ridge, they divert forces masked by Taylor's Ridge to
      > Snake
      > > Creek Gap then they stand the best chance of truly trapping the
      > > Confederates.
      >
      > Philip,
      >
      > I don't have a map handy, but couldn't Sherman have started Hooker's
      > men (~20,000) marching from Dug Gap (not too far away) through Snake
      > Creek Gap on the heels of McPherson? That way, Mac would have known
      > that he had sufficient force available--certainly enough to hold a
      > defensive position against Johnston. With Mac's troops already
      > there, the Confederates couldn't keep Hooker out. Even if, Johnston
      > noticed Hooker moving, it would have been too late.
      >
      > If such a move was planned in advance, it would have been even
      > easier; I can see no likely way in which Johnston could have noticed
      > that Hooker's men--if kept behind McPherson's--would have been
      > noticed in time for the Rebels to have done any better. The
      > Confederates didn't see Mac going through the gap with the first
      > 23,000.
      >
      > Joseph
    • William H Keene
      Message 149 of 149 , Jun 17, 2006
        Yesterday I had the opportunity to drop by the library and check out
        Schofield's memoirs. It is interesting reading in light of our
        discussion about Sherman and incidents of the Atlanta campaign. If I
        have the chance I will transcribe some of it for the group. He has
        critical things to say about Sherman yet also seems to admire him.