RE: [civilwarwest] Nightcap on flagpole

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002

      I suspect it was actually a Liberty Cap,” the symbol of the French Revolution – and a symbol of slave revolts.

      As Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis was responsible for the construction work on the US Capitol building. Montgomery Meigs had planned to use a statue of Liberty wearing the cap on the top of the spire. Davis vetoed the statue – Liberty and revolt struck too close to home.

      The envelope maker probably did not know about that connection but did recognize the role of the US Army is destroying slavery.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street