Re: [civilwarwest] Digest Number 754

  • Michael Mason
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31 11:49 AM
      I find Albert Castel's book very useful ,when ever I run short of T-paper it comes in handy! The Baron
    • Robert(Bob) Taubman
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31 12:31 PM
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 31 3:10 PM
          Hello richthofen@...,

          In reference to your comment:

          è I find Albert Castel's book very useful ,when ever I run
          è short of T-paper it comes in handy!   The Baron

          Mein Herr Baron,
          You should receive a literary prize of some sort for this brilliant post.

          Wayne
        • melchizedek22
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
            Bob I read the whole book,what I didn't like,was right from the get go,he pretty much said,this would be a Sherman bashing book,and the whole
            book is written in a negative attitude,even toward Alberts hero Thomas
            But then with all the negative about Sherman he ends with
            "Still Sherman did take Atlanta,and in so doing,to quote from a
            letter of congratulation sent from Grant,'accomplished the most gigantic undertaking given any general in the war."
            This in itself gave and always will give,Sherman a distinguished place in the history of the Civil War and of his nation".

            It seems he figured the only way to sell books is write a bash book
            No one in my CWRT cared much for it either,they were selling them
            dirt cheap. The Baron

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
              Thank you for your comments. I was wondering because the book seems to get good
              reviews concerning the campaign generally (no pun intended). I wasn't much of a
              Sherman fan myself but I've been trying to read more about him to perhaps soften
              my opinion. I did enjoy Sherman, Fighting Prophet by Lloyd Lewis but then there
              would be those who found him to be too much of a Sherman fan. My next
              challenge will be to try and be objective reading Perryville by Noe who is
              critical of Thomas. Shame, shame, shame!! ;-)

              Bob Taubman

              | Bob I read the whole book,what I didn't like,was right from the get go,he
              pretty much said,this would be a Sherman bashing book,and the whole
              | book is written in a negative attitude,even toward Alberts hero Thomas
              | But then with all the negative about Sherman he ends with
              | "Still Sherman did take Atlanta,and in so doing,to quote from a
              | letter of congratulation sent from Grant,'accomplished the most gigantic
              undertaking given any general in the war."
              | This in itself gave and always will give,Sherman a distinguished place in the
              history of the Civil War and of his nation".

              | It seems he figured the only way to sell books is write a bash book
              | No one in my CWRT cared much for it either,they were selling them
              | dirt cheap. The Baron
              |

              | - In civilwarwest@y..., "Robert\(Bob\) Taubman" <rtaubman@r...> wrote:

              | > |
              | > |

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
                Bob ,Maybe you should read Dr John Marzelek's book
                he's somewhere between Lewis and Albert The Baron

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
                  That one's on the shelf in front of me along with Fellman's, Citizen Sherman. I
                  will get to it though.

                  Thank you for the suggestion.

                  Bob
                  | Bob ,Maybe you should read Dr John Marzelek's book
                  | he's somewhere between Lewis and Albert The Baron
                  |

                  | - In civilwarwest@y..., "Robert\(Bob\) Taubman" <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
                  | > Thank you for your comments. I was wondering because the book seems to get
                  good
                  | > reviews concerning the campaign generally (no pun intended). I wasn't much
                  of a
                  | > Sherman fan myself but I've been trying to read more about him to perhaps
                  soften
                  | > my opinion. I did enjoy Sherman, Fighting Prophet by Lloyd Lewis but then
                  there
                  | > would be those who found him to be too much of a Sherman fan. My next
                  | > challenge will be to try and be objective reading Perryville by Noe who is
                  | > critical of Thomas. Shame, shame, shame!! ;-)
                  | >
                  | > Bob Taubman

                  | > |
                  | > |
                  | > |
                  | > |
                  | > |
                  | > |

                  | > | > |
                  | > | > |

                  Just
                  | > how
                  | > |
                  | > |
                  | > |
                  | > |
                  | > |
                  | > | Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  | > |
                  | > |

                • melchizedek22
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
                    I belong to Cump&Co,a Sherman Newsletter group
                    they hate Citizen Sherman more than any other book
                    I like some of it,but it is full of wild assumptions
                    especially about his marriage to Ellen Ewing Sherman