8683Re: Understanding Vicksburg

  • carlw4514@yahoo.com
    Nov 26, 2001
      well, Dave, that's something, I thought you would say it wouldn't be
      as bad as Chatanooga pre-cracker line. It's really something to sit
      here and think that the whole campaign could have turned into some
      kind of quagmire; the success of it was essential to Union war aims

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
      [Would it have been similar to Chattanooga before the "cracker line"
      was opened? ]

      > It would have been much worse, IMO. It may well could have spelled
      > the end of Grant's command, as well.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic