8544Re: Understanding Vicksburg

  • carlw4514@yahoo.com
    Nov 16, 2001
      I guess I knew that I was going to get clobbered LOL. Since it's pure
      speculation I can't really defend myself except to say that in
      military matters it seems that there are certain things that just
      aren't overlooked by professionals. One always has reserves. One does
      not get himself into a situation where retreat is impossible, even if
      fully confident that retreat is not in the cards. One does
      not try to "live off the land" indefinitely. Certainly "living off the
      land" gives the appearance that one has thrown caution to the winds,
      but I sincerely doubt that this was the case with Grant. There is a
      point at which "living off the land" is no longer possible; he simply
      couldn't allow it to happen that he would get stalemated east of the
      Big Black. Subordinate to Banks, say, beats being out of ammo and
      starving; Porter had warned him that the transports were not making
      the trip back up the Mississippi; would he have blown this off as "who
      cares?" This bothering anybody else?

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., carlw4514@y... wrote:
      > > I do think, though, that Grant had an exit strategy, should things
      > > not go so well; no one seems to know or say what that was, to my
      > > knowledge. I have my own guesses - pure speculations - that at one
      > > point he could fall back and join Banks, or at one point actually
      > > go
      > > north and crush Fort Pemberton and be back to getting regular
      > > supplies. Both scenarios would have meant a longer war as his
      > > noted brilliance shortened it.
      >
      > Carl,
      >
      > With all due respect, Fort Pemberton was not going to work -
      > especially a movement north through hostile country - no supply
      line,
      > no way to replenish ammunition, and no way to use the rail lines.
      He
      > would have been dead meat.
      >
      > Fall back and join Banks? And become subordinate to Banks? I doubt
      > that, too. A portion of the movement on Jackson was simply to avoid
      > doing that.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > Dave Smith
      > Villa Hills, KY