8543Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Understanding Vicksburg

  • Thomas A Hardy
    Nov 15, 2001
      Bob, et al,

      An interesting note from my Masters Degree studies is that Grant learned
      how to do this from Winfield Scott in Mexico. Scott cut himself off from
      the coast and Vera Cruz, then advanced and captured Mexico City. It was
      a very near run thing.

      Grant served as a quartermaster and saw how the army supplied itself. He
      also stuck his nose into the combat and learned how to operate on a
      battlefield.

      Tom Hardy
      Kansas City

      On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:17:10 -0700 "Bob Huddleston"
      <adco12@...> writes:
      > I also think that the Holly Springs debacle, and the ease with which
      > Grant
      > was able to live off the Mississippi land provided the proof -- and
      > the
      > confidence -- to forget bases and strike out overland.
      >
      > One of the secrets of USG was that he was always learning and always
      > willing
      > to try something new.
      >
      > Take care,
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > Judy and Bob Huddleston
      > 10643 Sperry Street
      > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      > 303.451.6276 Adco@...
      >

      > I doubt if thru the whole campaign,the thought of falling
      > back ever once entered Grants mind,thats what sets Grant apart,do
      > you think
      > Grant ever once thought of falling back after The two days of
      > Wilderness,The only time Grant fell back was the very first attempt
      > at
      > Vicksburg,when his supply line was cut,he never did that again,I
      > think thats
      > when he felt he made a mistake by,falling back and should have kept
      > going
      > and live off the land' The Baron

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.