8145Re: Review of "Triumph Over Adversity"

  • brooksdsimpson@yahoo.com
    Oct 1, 2001
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., LWhite64@a... wrote:
      > Folks,
      > Just to chime in on this briefly, David Long worked here at
      > Chickamauga as a seasonal last summer, so if this is him, then it
      wasnt Mr.
      > Rose as some have said. Mr. Long was quite anti Grant as well.

      I'd like to make a few points.

      Mr. Long's character or bias need not be a topic of conversation here
      (especially as he is not present to defend himself). Two other
      posters, including the original poster, brought those topics up, and
      only then did I feel compelled to respond. Does Mr. Long have an axe
      to grind? Is his purposeful misrepresentation of my book the act of
      a gentleman? That's up to each of you to decide.

      Mr. Long's review questioned my integrity, much as Mr. Rose has
      questioned my integrity. I hope that in the past and in the flurry
      aroused by this discussion that we now understand whose integrity is
      properly at issue. Had Mr. Rose wanted to survey the scholarly
      reception to my book, he might have pointed to reviews by James
      McPherson, Peter Parish, and Robert Remini to set Mr. Long's review
      in context. I've already pointed to a section of Mr. Long's review
      that should raise questions about his scholarship.

      Finally, I thought that whatever the merits of previous exchanges, a
      good number of members of this newsgroup have tired of this
      discussion. I post only because I have come under criticism yet
      again from a familiar source, and I do have the right of self-defense
      (and if I don't, the moderators can remove me immediately). If that
      leads to a new chorus of "a plague on both your houses," I'll simply
      submit that I can't wait until you come under attack here; let's see
      how you respond. Mr. Rose has taken his road show elsewhere on the
      net, repeating the same sort of things debated to death here as if
      nothing has changed his mind in the slightest; other people have
      notified me that he nags them with posts and messages. Thus it seems
      useless to debate him except insofar as it might be important not to
      allow his assertions, when mistaken or flawed, to go unchallenged;
      we've seen how that process degenerates. I look forward to his
      promised essays.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic