729[civilwarwest] Re: Western Regiment

  • Terry Arliskas
    Apr 1, 2000
      Hi Mike -

      Boy, are you opening yourself up on this one - we've all got our favorites
      and I'm sure you'll get 100 suggestions. Being a Badger myself, I'm partial
      to Wis. troops and you could just about take your pick as most went West -
      15th Wis is an interesting bunch (Island No. 10, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga,
      Georgia campaign) - mostly Norweigan immigrants, but included one company of
      Germans. Commands were given in three languages! 14th Wisc. is a good
      regiment, and of course I am most partial to the 29th Wisc., "Hovey's
      Ironclads", but there's not much out on them (am doing a regimental history
      myself).

      Also like the 11th Indiana "Lew Wallace's Zouaves" - brigaded with the 29th
      Wis., but saw action at Shiloh. Couple of regimentals on them and they were
      a tough bunch, and the 46th Illinois was a good regiment too - couple of
      regimentals on them as well. Good luck - any Western (Illinois, Indiana,
      Iowa, Michigan) regiment will give you good stuff - as inscribed on a CW
      monument here in Wisconsin: "When you think of valor, look to the West. Ask
      the rebels, they knew it best"!

      Terry Arliskas, 29WVI