651[civilwarwest] Re: Gen. W.W. Loring's Division

  • Dameron McRaven
    Mar 1, 2000
      Waldemar,
      Loring's Division remained in the Department of
      Mississippi after their misadventure from Champion's Hill to Jackson. I will
      research this further and send you more information, but this is what I have
      for now:
      During Sherman's Meridian, MS campaign the 23rd Mississippi was in
      Brig. Gen. John Adams' Brigade, W.W. Loring's Division, Army of Mississippi
      commanded by Leonidas Polk.
      The campaign occurred in February of 1864, and there were engagments
      from just outside Vicksburg across the state to Meridian.
      I believe that Loring's Division remained with Joe Johnston's
      Army, which subsequently was commanded by Polk from May-Dec. 1863. The Army
      remained in Jackson until the second battle by that name July 9-16m 1863,
      when they fell back to Canton, where they remained through the winter. They
      remained with Polks Army until it untied with Johnston's during the Atlanta
      campaign, this period covering Jan.-May 1864. After Sherman's Meridian
      Expedition, the 23rd fell back with the rest of the Confederate Army to
      Demopolis, Alabama.
      I hope this helps,
      Dameron