    Aug 20, 2013
      There's a valley west of Lookout.  Late in October a force from Chattanooga did a night-time boat assault on the shoreline held by the CS pickets while reinforcements from the Army of the Potomac sent west marched up the valley from a railhead in NE Alabama to link up with them.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Aug 19, 2013, at 4:01 PM, John Spalding <brjohn41@...> wrote:

      Please forgive my ignorance. I realize I am coming in the middle of this discussion.
      How was Grant able to avoid the Confederate interdiction at Chattanooga? I am still not clear on this point.
       Thanks, John S.

      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      From: jlawrence@...
      Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:14:25 -0500
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Tennessee River

      No apologies needed.
      The comments are interesting and insightful.
      Regards,
      Jack

      Sorry, my reply was not clear enough.   Your third question was why didn't Rosecrans use the river to resupply Chattanooga, the answer was the CS interdicted it.   There were guns on Lookout, and pickets and I think a few field pieces along the banks, at least before the end of October.  After the end of October, the RR was open from Nashville.