47288Re: Civil War Ancestors

  • hank9174
    Mar 12, 2013
      My mother's side of the family claims 4 confederate soldiers in the army of northern Virginia.

      Her 4 great-grandfathers (my great-great-grandfathers) are:

      James Strother Johnson was in company C of the 7th Virginia Infantry. Just about all of our information about these men is from the paper trail in the archives in Washington and Richmond. His Virginia pension applications state he lost his eye "in the charge at Gettysburg". The 7th Virginia was in Kemper's brigade of Pickett's division.

      Burruss Munday was in the Orange Artillery of Carter's Battalion. Their Gettysburg marker is right next to the Eternal Light Peace Memorial. He is listed on the rolls of men surrendered at Appomattox.

      G.W. Isaacs was in Company K of the 28th Virginia Infantry. This was Garnett's brigade at Gettysburg. Union records list him as a deserter in front of Richmond in November 1864 and taking the oath of allegiance and then sent to Indianapolis as a POW. This was where my Great Aunt Grace, a grand lady, who knew him (her grandfather), chimed in, "He had no clothes. He had no food. He certainly did *not* desert. He surrendered with honor!".

      Virgil M. St. Clair was in Co. B of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry. This was Brockenbrough's brigade at Gettysburg.

      The records in the national archives and especially the pension applications, doctor affidavits and requests for paperwork in Richmond are a revealing insight into their lives.

      Cheers,
      HankC
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@...> wrote:

      > First, I would like to introduce myself. Some of you may recognize me while others may not, so I think an introduction is appropriate. My name is Dick Weeks, folks on the Internet call me Shotgun. I started this group some years ago in hope of learning more about the Western Theater, and learn I have.
      >
      > I thought that since things are quite in the group right now I would try to start a thread. The reason I am doing this is self serving. I want to put a new section on my website and call it "Our Civil War Ancestors, Stories from the Descendants (or something like that) and you folks can help me with that. Fully realizing that many of you may not have traced your family back as far as I have. I am a member of the Sons of the American Revolution which means that I can trace my heritage back in a direct linage to the American Revolution. However I am sure there are many of you that have stories about your ancestors that served on both sides in the Civil War. I would like to share those stories with visitors to my website (civilwarhome.com). Since I made it, I know the rule is this group is restricted to discussing only the Western Theater but in this case I will lift the rule when it comes to discussing your ancestors. You may have a story about your ancestor which does not even involve a battle they were engaged in but was passed on to your family. It doesn't have to battle related as long as it is Civil War related. I have ancestors that served at Vicksburg, Atlanta, Gettysburg, and 2nd Manassas and their stories were not always talking about a battle. If this thread works I will share their stories with the group.
      >
      > The first story that I have is not about a battle but something that I found amusing in my family's history. My great great grandmother was Mary Mathews Byers. She was expecting when a kinsman, Charles Wright, visited her home in full Confederate uniform. He said when leaving, "If it is a boy, name him for me." She answered she would do so even it were a girl. And she did. My great grandmother's name is Charlie Wright Byers Weeks. The family always called her "Charlie."
      >
      > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant
      > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      > http://www.civilwarhome.com

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic